Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fenwick HMX?  (Read 5267 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
fenwick HMX?
« on: October 18, 2004, 07:34:57 PM »

bought an 11' hmx at the start of the summer seemed just fine until a couple of days ago at the  stave while beaching a fish it snapped in two!! in the centre of the top section, clean break right through, Ive owned dozens of rods and never broke one on a fish, has anyone else had any troubles with the hmx series? it does have a 5 year warranty but the wait is 6 to 8 weeks I believe.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: fenwick HMX?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 07:41:07 PM »

A couple of seasons ago, I bought two Fenwick HMX 9' drift rods. We used them for coho, chum, and even springs at times and never really had any problems with them. They are sitting right next to me and still look pretty happy.

However, I've read many stories regarding broken Fenwick HMX... Similar stories to yours. In fact, I believe there is one from today in the fishing report section. ;)

Bring the rod back to where you bought it... Hmm, if it is Army and Navy, your chance of getting good warranty service is slim. Limited warranty applies on those rods, I think it is five years after date of purchase but may have changed.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 08:54:18 PM »

my brother had a problem with them before. apparently, the 11 footers had a flaw in their design.  he bought his at nikka's (in richmond). his snapped during a routine cast and nikka's gave him a free replacement....he ended up getting a 10 1/2 foot instead.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »

I have the mooching model (10.5 ft) of the HMX series and used it all summer (5-6 times a week). It's landed many decent fish for me (3 springs over 40# and lost some bigger ones). Never had any problems with it. Maybe you just got a bad one ? Or maybe I just got a good one...
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:48:07 AM »

I have a 10.5 HMX that I'm happy with but I watched a guy try to bring one back to army and navy last week they told him to go directly to fenwick. let's just say he wasn't to happy with that policy.

P.S.  I don't blame him I'd want to fish now not in 6-8 weeks  :( :( they should have a loaner policy like some of the other  stores :)
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 07:11:47 AM »

Almost all the rods I have heard of breaking with a fish on, it has happened at the beach.

Rods are meant to distribute stress and tension evenly thru out the rod.  Now if you have a fish on the beach at your feet (always the case if you are by yourself - eh Fulc ;) ) then the rod tip would be pulled down toward your feet with most of the bend in the upper half. this would cause a  ton of loading to happen in a confined area of the rod (not the entire length) and we all know the end result. 

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 09:36:20 AM »

Army and Navy's rod exchange/warranty policy bites. They do accept them grudgingly but you have to wait at least 6 weeks before you get your rod back. Get to know the owners of your local tackle shop and over time they will give you deals on rods and reels that are better than the prices at A&N, and they will exchange broken rods with a fuss.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 06:43:47 PM »

i have two HMX's the 10.5 and 11 no problems yet lots of big monsters on them! :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 08:05:44 PM by DaN ThE MaN »

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 08:01:51 PM »

I've got the 11' HMX and no problems so far.  Landed bunch of large springs with it as well as used it on the fraser during sockeye season last year.  Had a 9' Fenwick legacy that did the snap crackle pop thing at the base of the top half while also pulling in a chum at Nicomen slough 3 years ago.  Had that rod for 7 or 8 years and paid almost nothing for it so I didn't mind.  I had bought it used in a combo with a Daiwa millionaire baitcaster reel for $125.00 years ago.  Guy was selling it because his wife didn't like if after a couple of outings.  It was a wicked deal.
President Club S. C. & P.