Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: friendly banter verses insults  (Read 3695 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
friendly banter verses insults
« on: October 18, 2004, 04:23:11 PM »

I admit to being ignorant of a lot the rules when it comes to participating on those boards,If I have erred I would hope that someone will point out my mistake in a reasonably polite manner.I have noticed that increasingly the discussions are quickly escalating to name calling,insults and in some cases threats.
This is not what we (most of us) enjoy.I thought that the site is based on a group of people sharing ideas, methods even views in a reasonable manner.possibly giving our advice,right or wrong in others views maybe.
the banter is greatly appreciated and to me is not offensive but a friendly jibe maybe a sore point to some one else.
If the name calling,threats etc. were to stop perhaps more people will join and less people will lurk in th background,after all who would want to open themselves up for ridicule.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: friendly banter verses insults
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 04:30:21 PM »

Treat others as you want others to treat you.

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 05:41:24 PM »

Sandy and FA are right on.  A good discussion without the insults on this forum is a great thing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 07:18:33 PM »

Thanks for the note Sandy. As the forum grows, like it has been in the past year or so, these things are expected to happen as everyone is different in age, religion, ethnic background, value, fishing level, etc etc etc. This of course doesn't excuse personal attacks etc. Sometimes the line is very hard to draw. We do our best to moderate. There are roughly 200 new posts, sometimes more, each day for us to monitor so sometimes it takes time to get things fixed. One way to improve the whole situation by reporting bad posts to us instead of engaging in the attacks to escalate the damage.

It's common sense really. FA said it best, treat others like the way you want to be treated, whether it is on this board or at the river.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 07:29:05 PM »

was not ment to be a critisim of you Rod or of the other Moderators.my hats off to anyone who would take on such a job.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 07:37:57 PM »

Critisim or not, both are welcome. ;) How else can I improve? ;D Thanks again.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 07:14:46 AM »

How is it I miss out on all the good fueds?     But to the original question:  I think a site  without disputes and a little rough and tumble would be boring, sort of like a mutual admiration society.  I suggest you speak your mind.  Put your opinions out there and defend them, and if you find they are not all that defensible, consider changing them.  Try not to let your feelings get hurt.  On this board I think something like 99 plus percent of the members mean well.  Sticks and stone, etc . . .