Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saturday's Vancouver Sun  (Read 8049 times)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Saturday's Vancouver Sun
« on: October 15, 2004, 11:46:13 PM »

Just heard on the news hour there is a full report about this past summer's Fraser River Sockeye return in tomorrow's Vancouver Sun. The reporter says that Mr. Cummins was aware of Native Poaching etc. Check it out.

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Saturday's Vancouver Sun
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 08:53:40 AM »

Thanks TS, it should be very interesting to see if they give an honest opinion on all the illegal native poaching that occured this past summer. Hmmm, Yah figure. ::)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 09:37:38 AM »

It's a good read.  Much different than the reports in the chilliwack river.

d_w

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 11:16:22 AM »

Thanks Aaron :)
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 05:18:11 PM »

A good article indeed. Maybe the work the Sportsfishing Defense Alliance has been doing is starting to pay off and some public awareness is getting out there.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 07:59:51 PM »

Good article, the fish that made it to spawn in the report were a total of 250,000 Sockeye Salmon. Depending on the environment etc. 10% of the fish produced from the spawning will possibily return, do the math...kiss the 2008 return year good-bye. What I find brutally pathetic from this is how the Government claims the high water temperatures. In Mr. Cummins report it says Fisheries says the water temperature is leathel at 21C and from another source 24C is the leathel amount........how come there was barely any signs of dead fish floating down the river from heat? Where's the evidence? I, myself can say I did see very few dead fish floating down river and none on the banks. Nets on the river daily and through till the end of September.  :o Who are they kidding? Then there's Ernie Crey....'Since a thermometer doesn't look anything like a Fraser River Indian, Cummins & Co., confronted with the facts, get confused and opt to stick with the primary disinformation message, namely,"The Indians poached the fish." ' Was this clown anywhere on the river to witness what was happening when there is video footage and photographs proving illegal fishing in closed times? How can he be a spokesperson when he doesnt have any evidence backing what he has said? The way he speaks, he is speaking for all Natives when he is completely unaware of most of them and the ones caught with there dirty ethics. How pathetic. >:( Looking forward to Mr. Regans report on the devastation this coming week.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 08:02:59 PM by tHe TrOuT sLaYeR »

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 09:03:07 PM »

In Mr. Cummins report it says Fisheries says the water temperature is leathel at 21C and from another source 24C is the leathel amount........how come there was barely any signs of dead fish floating down the river from heat? Where's the evidence? .

Your right about that!!!! the only dead fish I saw on the fraser this year sure had alot of net marks >:(

TtotheE

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 11:53:33 PM »

I'd have to say I saw at least 5 fish this season floating down.  However,  I would say 90% of the fish I caught had net markings.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 07:28:09 AM »

i saw many more dead fish floating downstream last season than this.
and ernie is just like any other politition,he speaks without saying anything .

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 09:33:58 AM »

In addition to this I got a report from a reliable source a high percentage of sockeye that made it to the spawning grounds and were able to be observed had net marks on them. :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 09:45:58 AM by chris gadsden »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 10:34:42 AM »

I have observed that people on this Forum have a tendency to repeat themselves endlessly on the same tired subject.

I wonder why there is no innovative thought or insightful comment?

Could it be the water? ::)

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 01:26:39 PM »

yes sam it could be the water ,
but despite the increase in population along the fraser ,we have improved our inviromental impact somewhat.and if the water was the problem the evidence in the form of dead and dying fish along the river would be clearly seen .and maybe we are beating a dead horse but turning our backs to the facts is hard to do even if it is the politically correct thing . :-\

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 03:30:12 PM »

I have observed that people on this Forum have a tendency to repeat themselves endlessly on the same tired subject.

Atleast it shows a alarming rate of people concerned on this issue.....
What have you done to show your concerns? ???

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 05:15:45 PM »

Endless repetition and hackneyed phrases aren't concern they are obsessiveness.

You don't know me or anything about my involvement with conservation and social reform causes of different varieties and I Beg Your Pardon but what I do and who I do it with are none of your concern.

I have in the past tried to inject thoughfulness and  an elightened POV into these ugly useless messes that start here but I'm starting to think there is no hope none for small mindedness and lack of vision as posted by you and your ilk.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 05:37:14 PM »

Endless repetition and hackneyed phrases aren't concern they are obsessiveness.

You don't know me or anything about my involvement with conservation and social reform causes of different varieties and I Beg Your Pardon but what I do and who I do it with are none of your concern.
Fair Enough. :)
I have in the past tried to inject thoughfulness and  an elightened POV into these ugly useless messes that start here but I'm starting to think there is no hope none for small mindedness and lack of vision as posted by you and your ilk.
I was voicing my opinion and it seems I did get feedback from others who have in someway felt the same, I am coming from a reports point of view that I agree with and what I have heard/seen.