Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oooops  (Read 14000 times)

EZ_Rolling

Re: oooops
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »

Curious I don't see how you thing ANY fish with up to 100 parasites on it for sale at ANY store is acceptable or appetizing personally I expect more from a store that supplies food to the public.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »

Was the fish pre disposed to a condition which made it suseptable to lice in the gill area?  
Where are the other pictures of that fish, the whole fish?  More pictures would certainly help tell more of the story about this one fish.  We are talking about one fish right?  More information please or the conclusion jumping really does not make a big splash with me.  Typical of morton to leave so much information out where as a regular scientist would provide as much information as possible not just one photo.  Luckily activist have no standards or set of guidelines to adhere to in terms of professionalism. No guidelines what so ever.  The only standard held high by them is free speech.  yippy.

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

curious

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 03:53:24 PM »

Curious I don't see how you thing ANY fish with up to 100 parasites on it for sale at ANY store is acceptable or appetizing personally I expect more from a store that supplies food to the public.

And where did I say it was, I think you're missing something ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:00:57 PM by curious »

curious

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »

Aquapaloosa
 Found some photos and information here. Multiple fish from different suppliers reported. Scroll down.
 http://alexandramorton.typepad.com  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:24:05 PM by curious »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 12:55:02 AM »

It indicates such to me, and I think most consumers and Sobeys, on the retail end, would agree. Didn't they pull it off the shelves in 80+ stores?

You seem to be the only one hysterical, sorry about that.
 How do we know it's a non-public health issue, were the fish and lice analysed ?
 How do we know SLICE was used, and if it was, have the lice built up an immunity?
 It would be nice to know which company it came from and the feedlot location, it especially would be helpful if on the label. At least it seemed labelled correctly species wise. Mislabelling seems to be a common occurence with fish as shown in this short 12 minute Marketplace video "Somethings Fishy" including an interview with a government spokesperson, priceless.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/Marketplace/Season+37/ID/1458709711/

You may find this recent discussion on GMO foods, "Genetic Roulette", informative.  It has some interesting Canadian content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnlTYFKBg18  
Like I already mentioned, Sobey's did what any reputable store would and should do in that circumstance - stand behind the products they sell in their stores.  Even though there is no health risk to humans with these sea lice (no matter what you say) what the public perceives, rightly or wrongly, is becoming more important.  Appearance is what people first look at when they purchase food.  I am not in the supermarket industry, but likely Sobey’s recognized this and thought it was in their best interest not to have bad publicity over this so they took action.

Hysterical about what…lol?  You are the one that seems to be making more of this than what is being reported.  I am just telling you the fact that sea lice are not a food safety issue and just because there are lice on the fish does not automatically equate to their being a more problems.

I don’t see the relevance of the Marketplace segment.  Although I do not disagree with the segment with regards to proper labelling, the mislabelling or misrepresenting of what fish species is being sold is a totally different matter than what we are talking about.  Do you know if these particular whole fish from Sobey’s were mislabelled?  If so, I agree you may have something and it should be pursued.  However, if you are just blindly throwing darts again then I might suggest that you may be a little “hysterical”.  Actually, the Marketplace segment paints a brush over farmed and wild fish with respect to mislabelling – basically proving that you should be concerned with the wild fish you purchase also.  Secondly, I also do not see the relevance of the YouTube video on GMO foods to this particular issue we are talking about.  Are you suggesting that these particular salmon from Sobey’s were genetically modified?  If so, please explain.  I am willing to listen.  However, in BC, the fact is that farmed salmon are raised naturally without hormones or genetic modification to reach optimal growth.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:57:32 AM by shuswapsteve »

curious

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 04:26:38 AM »

If you are concerned about being precautionary then you should be much more concerned about the other food you purchase – not only for quality issues but for the nutritional content.  For instance, obesity (especially in children) is an epidemic in this country.

In reference to the youtube GMO video and your above comment.
 The Marketplace video concerns consumers being "ripped off", mislabeling resulting in higher prices, and a lack of consumer protection.

From Morton's typepad article 10/22/2012 :
"I never said sea lice were a human health issue. I have a call into Dr.Hammell's office, he must have been misinformed or misquoted. ... Sea lice in the Maritimes have become resistant to drugs."
Just read it and found the whole article interesting.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:42:44 AM by curious »