Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oooops  (Read 14004 times)

EZ_Rolling

Re: oooops
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »

I have never caught a salmon with that many lice but then again come to think of it I have never fished a open pen cespool feedlot

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »

Sea lice on a fresh caught coho or Chinook used to be a badge of honour! Fresh from the salt, chrome fish. I must have missed the decision where they became one of the Four Horsemen of the Salmon Apocalypse.

For the record Sidestep, I'll meet you face to face anyday and give you a piece of my mind. I may have lots of time to make the trip soon seeing as I may not have a job lol.

I am feeling very threatened by all this cyber bullying....lol.

Sidestep loves pork so bring some....but make sure it is organic, fresh from the farmer.  I heard that food bought at supermarkets was too dangerous for human consumption.  If they are selling bad pork then what else are they hiding???  Now that I think of it those oranges I bought at Superstore have too many seeds in them.  I wonder if those seeds are toxic?  A buddy of my neighbor thinks they are.  The blog he reads says so. If I swallow them all at once I could choke to death. Who's looking out for all these seeds in oranges?!  If these multinationals are missing this then what else are they missing.  I am sure it is all a conspiracy...Must be.  I demand accountability!

curious

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »

Typical.
Tell it to the families of the 20+ that died from the Maple Leaf Foods listeriosis outbreak in 2008.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:44:41 AM by curious »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »

My post was intended to show how assuming more problems exist is not proof of inadequate controls.  We do not need to lose common sense over this.  This was being dressed up as a public health issue by Ms Morton, but it clearly is not.  What we do know is that sea lice will not harm you.  Listeriosis is food safety issue – sea lice is not.  That is a big difference, curious.  Although comparing listeriosis to sea lice is like comparing apples to oranges, it does show that there are far worse problems to be concerned about.  Instead, some want to make more of this sea lice thing than has been reported.  Awareness is good, but inflaming the issue does not help the situation and making people more fearful then they need to be is irresponsible.

curious

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »

That many lice { 30-100} on a marketed fish indicates, to me at least, that there are serious problems in the system.
 It's only common sense to be precautionary when feeding our families and in the placement of salmon feedlots.
 Wondering when the fish were last treated for sea lice and if the pesticides are safe to eat , or maybe that will be a secret.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:19:14 PM by curious »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »

Wondering when the fish were last treated for sea lice and if the pesticides are safe to eat , or maybe that will be a secret.
  Well curious, you won't know till you ask the appropriate people and I'm sure a polite email to Sobey's will answer your questions. Perhaps you could also ask if it is common practice to sell salmon with intact head and gills. Assuming the fish is sold by weight, who would buy that?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 05:21:57 PM »

That many lice { 30-100} on a marketed fish indicates, to me at least, that there are serious problems in the system.
 It's only common sense to be precautionary when feeding our families and in the placement of salmon feedlots.

Someone gets it!

Sometimes all you get is

http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »

your trying to buy fish.....not sea lice :) not to mention how much water the SLICE makes the fish retain :-X
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »

We must also remember sea lice on salmonid smolts that they pick up as they go by net pens that have high incidents of sea lice can be fatal over a period of time to these young salmon.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 09:25:37 PM »

So you can tell that much about the “system” by using that as a gauge?  For that you can tell that the problems are “serious”?

It is not common sense to create hysteria over a perceived public health issue which has not been demonstrated.  If you are concerned about being precautionary then you should be much more concerned about the other food you purchase – not only for quality issues but for the nutritional content.  For instance, obesity (especially in children) is an epidemic in this country.  I believe the public’s energy would be better served in being more precautionary here than being concerned with a non-public health issue like sea lice on farmed salmon at Sobey’s.  However, I presume the double standard will be invoked here.

The information on SLICE is not a secret.  Some of that information was already posted in this thread with references inside.  If its application (0.1 to 0.3 grams per metric tonne of salmon produced; added to the feed, not topically as a pesticide) to farm salmon poses a serious health risk to humans then I wouldn’t mind seeing it.  Alternatives to SLICE are being investigated currently between industry, government, environmental groups and academics through the Broughton Archipelago Monitoring Plan.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »

Someone gets it!

Sometimes all you get is

You may fit in this catagory.....

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 09:35:01 PM »

your trying to buy fish.....not sea lice :) not to mention how much water the SLICE makes the fish retain :-X

How so?  Please explain.  Due to its chemicial structure, emamectin benzoate (the active ingredient in SLICE) is not very soluble in water.  If anything it is more lipophillic (binds to fats), but does not bind strongly to fatty compounds.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »

http://

curious

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »

So you can tell that much about the “system” by using that as a gauge?  For that you can tell that the problems are “serious”?

It indicates such to me, and I think most consumers and Sobeys, on the retail end, would agree. Didn't they pull it off the shelves in 80+ stores?

You seem to be the only one hysterical, sorry about that.
 How do we know it's a non-public health issue, were the fish and lice analysed ?
 How do we know SLICE was used, and if it was, have the lice built up an immunity?
 It would be nice to know which company it came from and the feedlot location, it especially would be helpful if on the label. At least it seemed labelled correctly species wise. Mislabelling seems to be a common occurence with fish as shown in this short 12 minute Marketplace video "Somethings Fishy" including an interview with a government spokesperson, priceless.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/Marketplace/Season+37/ID/1458709711/

You may find this recent discussion on GMO foods, "Genetic Roulette", informative.  It has some interesting Canadian content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnlTYFKBg18  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:35:07 PM by curious »