Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum flies  (Read 12099 times)

roseph

Re: Chum flies
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »

Whatever fly you decide to fish just make sure you tie it on a quality hook!  Chums are great for testing out all aspects of your gear for sure.

I second Chirstmas trees.  Had a crazy day on the chedder last year where a school of fresh chum were taking them one after another.  I'm also of the mind though that being one of the more aggressive species of salmon they will take just about anything that looks alive, especially when they're fresh to the system..

qescott

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »

My personal favourite is the Popcicle.

Easy to tie, cheap materials, great fly.
Note this is not my tie, got it on the internet

qescott

Edit
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »

Edit: Double post.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:47:27 PM by qescott »

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »

Have been experimenting and have been getting nice ones on all kinds of patterns, popsicles, hot pink and chartreuse buggers, christmas trees, purple egg sucking leeches, big intruders, sparse tiny coho streamers etc. Have found the smaller stuff better for stripping and the bigger stuff for swinging. If they are in thick rolling all over the place you are going to snag a few and I am now liking flies tied on the thinner wire hooks. Have been fishing 15lb leader and if you point the rod at them these will pop or straighten out on foul hooked fish way easier than the heavy meat hooks often before the line breaks, I am not a fan of having to play out a fish hooked in the my friend if at all possible, and if the hook bends out during a fight there are plenty more chum to hook where that one came from.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »

Remember its easy to tie flies on 'weedless' hooks too!  ;)
Try the fly!

Stickleback

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »

This KILLED chum last october on the stave... Tube fly tied with no weight to stay off the bottom.  One nearly swallowed it! I had to cut the leader.  Luckily because its a tube, I got to keep the fly, and he only had a size 4 glo bug hook on the back of his tongue :)