Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problem with taking out spool. help plx  (Read 9020 times)

jacklam999

problem with taking out spool. help plx
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »

i bought a Dragonfly - Kamloops DK 5/6 Cassette Reel, however im dont know how to put my spare spool on ( I can press the clip on the center on one side of the reel, and the reel open in half, however i cant take apart my spool and the reeling/handling part of the reel, i have tried so hard to pull it off, but it just stay there, or do i have to use a scew driver to unscrew the screw that is on the center on the handling reel?. Thank you for helping

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: problem with taking out spool. help plx
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »

pretty sure thats the same reel i have on my 4wt. It should just be slide and hold the pin while putting spools on/off.

where are you located ?

perhaps one of the members here thats knows their stuff could take a look if it isnt working right. I have fixed many reels of mine and friends/family
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:55:26 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

jacklam999

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »

i just bought it yesterday in berry tackle, i live in vancouver bc, here is some pics of the reel
i try to take out the spool and replace with the other spool, but just couldnt take it out, there is a button on the center, it only help to open the reel in half.

[/img]

jacklam999

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:37:25 PM »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »

i'm not familiar with that reel, but the spool may be held in place by a c clip....take a peek inside one of the three slots to see if there's a thin wire looking piece of metal encircling the inner spool...if there is, you should be able to pop it out of place with a micro screw.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »

from your pics it looks like you may have to take out those two small screws to release the cartridge.

that sure sounds like a pain in the a** if your on the lake and want to swap lines  >:(

this is exactly why i just have seperate reels for each line, hell i even have seperate rods too  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

roseph

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »

No screws to undo for the kamloops spool.  Just give it a solid pull and it will come right off.

jacklam999

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 06:31:43 PM »

i did tried pull really hard, but it just stuck there, i afraid ill break the reel if i pull it too hard

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »

Give Berry's a call

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:46 PM »

I would assume that if you just got this, and the cassette has not been taken off the spool before, then it may be stuck a bit. What *I* would do is, take off the fly line and backing, then pull from the stem of the cassette, rather than the sides. If you have little, or no experience with relining a reel, then I agree you should take it somewhere they can do it very easily and quickly. That or learn how to do it yourself.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:14 PM »

I used to have an older version of the Dragonfly BFR (British Fly Reel) cassette reel.  By changing spools, I'm assuming you actually want to change the plastic cassette.  Your photo already shows the spool disconnected and free from the reel frame.  In my reel, you just pull the plastic cassette right out of the spool, and then snap the other one in.  It might be a bit stiff if it's a brand new reel.  Btw - didn't the reel come with some instructions?  Anyway, I ended up selling my reel to a buddy, years ago.  It was a great reel for the price, and worked well for trout.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »

Put both your thumbs on the black centre where the spindle slides in and push while pulling evenly around the edges of the spool with all fingers. Dont be shy, think of pulling a cd out of a discman the way you pop it off by pushing at the centre while pulling the edges.
I guess for once the term "grip it and rip it" actually applies. ;)

jacklam999

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »

thank you everybody, i have took it back to the store, and the fixed it for me, the reason for it is because the person who put up the line for me have put it too tide there fore its stuck, but now the loose up the line and help me put it up again. problem fix. thank you