British Columbia Sport & Outdoor Lounge > Outdoor Photography

Looking to buy decent water-resistent or proof camera

(1/5) > >>

doja:
As stated in title I'm looking to buy a water resistant or prof camera with decent to good photos to bring with me when fishing, hilking or just snapping photos in the rain(under water shooting not really needed, more rain/wet proof). Not too bulky

It appears that quality can be reduced with this feature so I was wondering if it is better to keep these types of cameras separate( one wet,one dry) or will they work well as an all around camera. This will be my only camera for a bit.

I wanted to know what you people have found as I'm sure a few of you have cameras similer to what I'm looking for.

have been looking at the pentax w60, and thoughts?

Price range hopefully under $800

Thanks in advance, and merry Christmas,

Doja

WEEFISH:
I have had 2 Olympus camera's and they are great for the $$$. My current model is 1 yr old was $300.00. Stylus 790. It is water proof to 5 ft (neat option) . Heavy duty crush proof and can be dropped to 5 ft. It is great on videos too.

They might make a model that is rain or water resistant that has better features (more $$) I went for the inexpensive model for the river. It is great for all my picture needs!

I hope this helps...good reasonable waterproof camera!

dss:
The W60 takes great photos for a compact point and shoot that is waterproof amongst other things.

The Olympus waterproof series are much more rugged , can go deeper in water and be beat up in general more but the quality of the photos is below what the W60 takes.

I would personally go with the W60 (I own one) unless you really feel you will be beating the camera up.

doja:
dss, do you find the w60 takes pictures of the same quality as  a good quality dry point and shoot? and do you know how much the replacement rings are as I heard they can be expensive?

Chrome Mykiss:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_photos/2007-1.html

All of those photos were taken with a Pentax W30 or WPi. As far as quality goes, unless you are comparing these cameras to an SLR, there's no difference in the quality of the photos. I agree with dss, although the Pentax W60 may not be as durable as the Olympus 1030SW, but it takes better quality photos. If there's anyone who beats up their camera it's me, somtimes they are continuously wet for 2 days, left in the water after releasing fish, etc. I have never had a seal fail or even show signs of wear on any of my waterproof cameras, so I doubt you'll have to worry about that. Before Christmas I saw the Pentax W60 as low as $279 from local retailers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version