Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambleside pier???  (Read 8982 times)

JiG_Head

Re: Ambleside pier???
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 09:03:35 PM »

This is West Van we are talking about.  You can't have a clothes line outside or paint your house certain colours.  I would agree that it is good that we are talking littering seriously, but this is the wrong direction.  From the times i spent there as a kid, my guess is the individuals responsible didn't speak the language and still fish there.  Ruined it for the wrong people.

wow...English is my 2nd language, do i ruin it for you too?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:27:31 AM by JiG_Head »
the shyt talker.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »

Your taking what I am saying the wrong way, I should have worded it better.  And no, you haven't ruined it for me.  The signs are in English.  Many people who food fish for crabs and ground fish do not read English.  Putting up a English no fishing sign isn't going to stop someone who can't read the sign is it.  My observations were that crab fishermen often left there plastic bags and chicken packages and some left there bait containers.  I often pointed this out and many of them would shrug and imply they did not understand and continue on their way.  In no way was it a slur against people with other backgrounds.  I appologize to those who were offended.

I went to school in West Van, so I do know what I am talking about when I imply that problems are often met with fantastically strange laws.  For instance, WV has a bylaw against selling 2x4s, along with the other policies mentionned above.  Wv is a little strange that way.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 12:22:22 PM »

There is a bunch of speculations in this thread which leads to misunderstanding so this post hopefully can clarify the issue and add some of my thoughts to it too.

The pier in question (Ambleside Landing Pier) was closed to the public due to structural damages from the storms that we experienced last winter. Closed to the public meaning closed to everyone, including anglers. No one can access the pier for safety reasons, so there isn't a concern that people who don't speak English are still fishing on it. At least that's the concern I interpreted from Matt's post:

From the times i spent there as a kid, my guess is the individuals responsible didn't speak the language and still fish there.  Ruined it for the wrong people.

Regarding the status of the pier, it will remain closed until fixed of course. Originally it was supposed to reopen now, but the City has not received the building material from its suppliers so the reopening is being pushed back by a few weeks. For future references, if you want to find out the current status of a pier in West Vancouver, please phone 604-925-7275.

There has been one pier closure in West Vancouver due to illegal fishing activities and littering issues. Dundarave Pier was closed in early 2004 after receiving complaints from residents for several years. The main concern was that people were cleaning their fish on the benches at the end of the pier, which is rather unpleasant for non-anglers who wish to sit on. Because it is cheaper to close it to fishing than establishing facilities that accommodate fishing cleaning etc, anglers unfortunately lost another fishing opportunity. Regarding Matt's concern on non-English speakers not being aware of the closure, the City also thought of that and had the signs in multiple languages.

Since the closure, the parks department has received feedbacks from anglers who were disappointed with the closure. Because of the closure, parents or grandparents have lost another venue where they can take kids out fishing. My suggestion is that if you wish to see things done, then you need to be vocal. Phone the City if you are concerned about certain changes. In a society where majority makes the changes, anglers are always neglected because most of us simply don't speak up. Instead we like to talk among ourselves and complain about these changes that have been given to us.

Back to Matt's concern on non-compliance by non-English speakers. It is always on the agenda whenever fishing regulations are being discussed among stake holders and various government agencies. They recognize that non-English speakers do make up a good percentage of the angling community, and we need to find a channel to deliver crucial information to this group. DFO has produced brochures on crabbing in several languages. I have them, which are given out at our annual event "Fish for the Future". We are working hard to have signs/information kiosks established on piers in Richmond so people are aware of the regulations and fish species identification.

The general perception is that non-English speakers do not care about regulations. That is in fact not true. Most don't wish to do wrongs in a new society that they try to integrate themselves into, but it is just difficult when there is a language barrier even if they try their best. I know this as I speak both languages and quite often I do receive calls from people asking me to translate the regulations. That being said, there is also a number of people who choose to use the language barrier as an excuse to violate, even though they are well aware of the regulations. I am also aware of this because many have bragged about their ways of tricking English speaking individuals by acting clueless. It is a serious problem and of course ethnic communities intend to do something about it because these people represent their groups poorly.

I hope that clarifies a few things.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 01:53:35 PM »

I've learned in Canada not majority rules. But who ever makes the loudest noice wins.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 03:27:08 PM »

I've learned in Canada not majority rules. But who ever makes the loudest noice wins.

I'm noisy, how come I feel like a loser all the time? :-\ ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »

Nah, Nina would always win over you.  ;D

JiG_Head

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »

i think there should be more fisheries officers checking up on licences... For those people who cant walk 3 extra feet to one of the many garbage cans on the pier most likey wont spend 20+ dollars on a fishing licence...

that way... more fines can be giving out and the funds could be used to open those fish cleaning stations u were talkin about...

ANYWAYS... GO CANUCKS!!! BooOO flames.
the shyt talker.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »

i think there should be more fisheries officers checking up on licences... For those people who cant walk 3 extra feet to one of the many garbage cans on the pier most likey wont spend 20+ dollars on a fishing licence...

that way... more fines can be giving out and the funds could be used to open those fish cleaning stations u were talkin about...

Fisheries officers are funded by Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and they only enforce fishing regulations. The money generated from the fines would not go towards establishing fish cleaning stations because these services are provided by the City if they wish to. Again, if people want something, ask, it never hurts. If enough people ask for it, then something may happen. Join a local fishing club, have a stronger voice. Maybe work with the club by possibly co-fund a fish cleaning station or other facilities with the City.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 12:58:29 AM »

I have not seen the multilingual signs at Ambleside.  I stand corrected.  I appologize for my wording opening a can of worms.

JiG_Head

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 07:01:48 AM »

I have not seen the multilingual signs at Ambleside.  I stand corrected.  I appologize for my wording opening a can of worms.

no one said you were wrong... just had a problem with you wording ur opinion...n u just made urself look like a jackass But anyways... signs or no signs... when you see a big green garbage can... you exspect people to throw their trash in it.

but looks like ill have to find a new pier to conquer for now...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 11:20:19 AM by JiG_Head »
the shyt talker.

charles

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 08:11:05 AM »

Anyway, it is not like there is much there yet fishing on the pier...  The earliest founder/sole shows up with quantity for me is around mid May.  Hopefully the pier will be fixed by then.

Jig head, how come I never see you there :)  I fish there Sat. afternoon for founder/sole and night for dogfish (catch and release) with Thang and Steve's brother and father...

JiG_Head

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 10:26:52 AM »

Anyway, it is not like there is much there yet fishing on the pier...  The earliest founder/sole shows up with quantity for me is around mid May.  Hopefully the pier will be fixed by then.

Jig head, how come I never see you there :)  I fish there Sat. afternoon for founder/sole and night for dogfish (catch and release) with Thang and Steve's brother and father...

haha maybe cause in your mind... the my image of me is this 40 yr old verterian;) haha I've only start fishing the pier maybe 3 years ago..the 1st time i fished there i met steve and his family... but ive only met thang recently

and for 1 season... i completely skipped due to work/school and such. 

I dont usualy stay for dogfish... cause i can never bring them up without using braids... and i HATE using them :P

I just got into the baitcasting game... ull be seeing alot more of me :D  i wish i can cast as far as mitch
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:50:08 AM by JiG_Head »
the shyt talker.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 11:29:29 AM »

That photo I posted is the sign at Dundarave Pier. I'm not sure what sign they currently have at Ambleside Landing Pier but I suspect is something more universal, ie. entrance blockage. ;)

No need to be too apologetic regarding the original post. Even though we all need to watch our wordings, I find that we usually end up dismissing the issue because no one dares to wade into the problem of language barrier and other cultural related issues. The ethnic groups tend to be very sensitive about being singling out, while many who have grown up here believe that it is either knowing how to read English and/or French or don't participate at all. That barrier has to be removed somehow if we are to preserve our common interest before it disappears for everyone.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 04:03:58 PM »

There's boards put up at the Ambleside Pier blocking access. It's very universal "DO NOT ENTER".

gheart008

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 02:24:24 PM »

ya it's definitely due to structural damage since if you look at the support beams underneath, half of them are dangling off!