Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jet boat  (Read 13117 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
jet boat
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:50:41 PM »

i was wondering how shallow of water can a jet boat run in.

thanks

scruffy

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: jet boat
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »

Ive been into 6"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

I've taken mine prowling into about 2 feet of water.  When at plane you can be in really shallow water.

johnny

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:15:13 PM »

Who says you need water... this was us in Alberta between Christmas and Newyears..

My Wooldrige will run in 4 inches.

:)
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 04:16:09 PM »

ive been in only a couple inches of water and have slid across gravel bars, teflon is a must
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Mike D.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 10:07:11 PM »

Johnny:  ;D your wooldridge as in your FRL boat? lol the nice thing about that boat is that you don't need to chuck those buckets out of the back of the boat eh? due to that big leg on er'. I've personally have been in shallower water than 4" I think it was with a co-worker of Johhny too.....

Mike <")))))><

johnny

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »

Johnny:  ;D your wooldridge as in your FRL boat? lol the nice thing about that boat is that you don't need to chuck those buckets out of the back of the boat eh? due to that big leg on er'. I've personally have been in shallower water than 4" I think it was with a co-worker of Johhny too.....

Mike <")))))><
Ahh yes, that's her BUT the jet is coming!  ;) I just bought it, so once it's payed off(should be mid season) new power is following SOOn after...
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 10:47:16 PM »

Wow scruffy you thinking about getting a jet boat? Ya wooo dont forget about me lol

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:58:47 AM »

thanks for the feedback fellas,don't worry DH i won't forget about you buddy ;) but I'm just looking into it and trying to get as much info as i can to make my decision on which boat to buy i doubt I'll get it this season as i just bought my house but next season watch out.
Can anyone give me some feedback on which boat is better,I'm leaning towards a thunder jet 19-22 feet not interested in the smaller ones as i find they don't have as much room for my needs.I've been on my buddy's north river and i must say they are crap even he said it himself, their handling is not as responsive as he'd like it to be I've taken a woolridge out and eh.

thanks

scruffy

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:52:49 AM »

scruffy, send an email to TNT on the forum, he should answer all your questions. As I recall, Bwi Bwi was out test driving them with him before he decided to get one last year. He'll also be at the Fraser Valley Boat  Sportsmen's Show this year.

thomasr@t-n-tmarine.com

tnt

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 07:17:07 AM »

scruffy come see me and we will work out a time for a test drive, if you want to try a couple boats let me know.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 09:53:39 AM »

thanks Rodney and as for TNT I'll definitely give you a jingle soon ;)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 07:22:36 PM »

The Thunder Jets I've been in are also cheap boats.  They look nice outside, but that's about it, same with jetcraft and hewescraft.  NW Jet, Duckworth/Weldcraft, are good options.  I love my 18' weldcraft with the outback bracket.  It's a 4-stroke outboard, so that means I can't go in too shallow of water, 1 foot or so on plane, but I get twice the mileage.  It's also easier to add a link to my kicker to steer it from the steering wheel. 

It took me a good year to research and test drive boats until I found one that fits me.  good luck.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 03:25:54 PM »

I've been in very deep water where perfermance certainly isnt as good as the thin shallow stuff.  I've also been on dry land too having to push the boat back into the water.  Good thing for helmets etc when on the job.

tnt

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 04:17:24 PM »

bentrod dont be offended by my coments that I am going to say but if you think a weldcraft is a better boat than a t-jet you are mistaken, ffirst of thunder jet uses formed sides   alot stronger than flat sides
secondly they use a full reverse chine, which means no corrective steering on jet boats
compared to a butt welded bottom and side where you are constantly corrective steering.
third thunder jet brings their stringers  right to the bow of the boat unlike hewescraft jet craft weldcraft not only that thunder jet uses 5 stringers in their hull design unlike weldcrafts 3 stringer hull design,
thunder jet also does not bolt on cleats rails and other stainless conponents which will create corrosion due to dissimilar metals
I would love to see your boat travel in one foot of water in fact I will put the gas in for the day but you can bring the spare props that you willl need.
dont forget a 19ft inboard witha 305 will get 4.5 GPH at cruising speeds.
unless your weldcraft was a pre 98 I dont think you can even put them is the same group as a traditional weldcraft boat.

for the record I have driven 28 different river boat companies boats from their bottom of the line to their top of the line so I fell like I have an honest opinion with which we decided to carry.

There was a reason all the dealers were after thunder jet when we started our company.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....