Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I am getting a centerpin.  (Read 1961 times)

matrix111

So I am getting a centerpin.
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »

Would it matter on what line color should I spool on? I ve seen orange,neon green,mono,etc. Judt wondering why bright colors?Isn't it the idea is to be invisible in the water? Pardon my ignorance I am new to pin.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: So I am getting a centerpin.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:03 PM »

some guys like bright line like pink or yellow so that its easy to see where your line is and know where your float is. really its all personal prefrence, i like maxima chamilion 15 lb on my pin, i feel the hi vis lines attract to much attention and guys that come fish close just to see your line. only time i wish i had pink line is while fishing first and last light.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:37:26 PM »

Everything works, everybody has an opinion, IMO there or there is no reason to use anything other that 12-20lb mono for a cp.  I wouldn't be caught dead using pink, yellow, or braid of any kind.  If you are a newbie to the cp you should start with a heavier mainline until you get the hang of it.  20lb maxima, p line, Big game, etc... Tight lines, welcome to the team..

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »

The bright colors you probably are seeing on the river is the backing guys are using to take up room on the spool
so they dont have to waste alot of line to fill the spool. You will find you fish much better with a fully loaded spool. (once you get used to it)
Also backing helps prevent line bedding which you might experience right after catching a big fish

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »

backing saves alot of money when you load up with expensive lines every season. I use backing on my pin and on all my single action mooching reels for the chuck. I usually fish 15 lb maxima ultra green as main line on the pin.