Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Cohen Report  (Read 11682 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Cohen Report
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »

Hoping it will now be implemented with the new government and will help deal with the FF issue as well. Of course the Conservatives just left it and the many millions spent on it on the shelf.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/millions-of-bc-salmon-mysteriously-disappear-in-troubling-year/article27089342/

d_w

Re: The Cohen Report
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 01:40:14 AM »

here is a video i just came across, hope to see changes as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVUAzVpFTiw
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »

You beat me to it Bob ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »

d_w

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »

Thanks guys
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:01:17 PM »

http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/how-dishonest-fictional-%E2%80%9Cdocumentary%E2%80%9D-salmon-confidential

It's interesting how people who critique Morton rarely address the issues just her character and credentials.

Dave and FarmerBob are you hoping the Cohen recommendations are enacted? That is what this topic is about no? 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 09:24:54 PM »

Yes

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:43 PM »

yes. I was not the first to bring Mortons myths up. Btw, I find it funny you feel the need to call me farmerbob. Typical crusader style I guess. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:20:24 PM by Fisherbob »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »

It's interesting how people who critique Morton rarely address the issues just her character and credentials.

Dave and FarmerBob are you hoping the Cohen recommendations are enacted? That is what this topic is about no?

Interesting how you just did the same thing you criticize others for.

While I do read posts where people just attack Morton's character and her credentials there are many more that take a closer look at the issues, specifically her theories, her science, and her conclusions. I should add that there are those that subscribe fully with Morton's views who rarely address the issues either - instead just calling those that disagree as hacks, lobbyists, shrills and crooks.  As for Morton's credentials, she is the one that is misusing her honorary doctorate degree and as a result opens herself up to fair criticism. She is also not a Fisheries Biologist, so when she makes public comments about Pacific Salmon biology which are incorrect she opens herself up to criticism.  You should remember that Morton herself has gone after others more qualified than her for their education and professional credentials, even suggesting that Dick Beamish's Order of Canada should be reconsidered.  So, if I don't have much sympathy for her in that respect. If she plays that game then she shouldn't cry when it comes back at her.

http://blog.farmfreshsalmon.org/?p=294

As for the Cohen Report, I hope all the recommendations are enacted; however, the recommendations with enhancement facilities could be a bit outdated and/or not focused where they should be.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:13:59 AM by shuswapsteve »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 06:30:09 PM »

--I've read parts and also read comments from others on the report.
--A report is just that... a conscidered oppinion, based on the evidence presented, thus as I believe credible people gave evidence, some even complained that they did not give all the they could. Others dropped out of the process.
--Given all that, I accept that many reccomendations should be accepted and acted upon. New evidence and continued science must conscidered.

--So generally for implementation of recommendations but not 110% sold on any one opinion.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »

I can't recall a single statement by anyone associated with J Trudeau or the Liberal campaign that concerned the Cohen Report. JT wasn't even leader if the Party when the report was issued. Given that most observers note their agenda so huge and the list of promises so long I think there isn't a snow ball's chance the report will be taken from the dusty shelf Harper assigned it to. The best we can expect from the Trudeau government is the roll back of Harper's gutting of the fisheries act that left little ability to protect fisheries habitat. Likewise that they return Canada to active participation in the dealing with climate change and global warming both of which are the biggest threat to BC's salmon resource.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »

Interesting that this link (http://blog.farmfreshsalmon.org/?p=269) states:

After the largest recorded return of wild pink salmon in an area of BC known as the Broughton Archipelago occurred in 2000, a weak return followed in 2002. A David Suzuki Foundation-commissioned report concluded it was likely the previously high brood year that over-populated rivers and reduced the out-migrating juveniles

yes when I looked at the executive study it says no such thing and notes numerous factors including the observation of

Several local residents in the study area observed high
numbers of dead and moribund pink juveniles carrying
lethal levels of sea lice in the spring of 2001.
Consequently, sampling of pink juveniles was carried out
from June through early August in near-shore areas
where pinks would be expected to rear.

Experimental evidence indicates that a sea lice burden
of over 1.6 lice per gram of fish is always lethal and
burdens as low as 0.75 sea lice per gram of fish can
be lethal.

Biologist Alexandra Morton reported that the infection
rate of the sea louse, Lepeophtheirus salmonis, ranged
from 68% to 99% based on samples captured by dip net.
She also reported that sea lice burdens ranged from
13% to 81

and local salmon farms in the Archipelago denied the study access to sea lice data they had collected.

So who is distorting what?

here is the link to the A David Suzuki Foundation-commissioned report executive summary: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/publications/downloads/2004/Salmon_Report.pdf
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:17:11 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 04:14:01 PM »

Here's some more reading for you on this subject Ralph

http://fairquestions.typepad.com/rethink_campaigns/ten-reasons-why-some-sea-lice-research-claims-are-false.html

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/people-gens/beamish/PDF_files/ICES%202006%20salmon%20lice.pdf

I'm sure you can find stuff by Volpe and Morton to refute these papers but ask yourself how the pink populations there and close by are doing recently ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:28:27 PM by Dave »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »

You missed my point by at least 10 miles Dave. But if I elaborate Milo will snap noisily at my ankles while you coo "nice doggy " so I'll just let it rest. :D