Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sep. 27th, vedder canal chum and spring  (Read 3691 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Sep. 27th, vedder canal chum and spring
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 11:20:03 AM »

nice spring.

as for chum, unless you're planning on smoking them, don't bother :P.

even if i'm deparate for roe, i'll release a nice doe.  i would rather go to berry's and buy them than kill a fish that won't be eaten.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 12:50:46 PM »

chum.... when caught in the salt make for great smoking and canning. I give em a light smoke with 1/2 and 1/2 alder and hickory then I can em up with a teaspoon of tomato paste and a slice or two of white onion in each jar. mmmmmmm
I also made indian candy last year with a couple river caught chums and was very pleased with the results.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 03:20:13 PM »

I have never ever seen a clean chum on that river in my life. I don't know but that's just the way it is there. There's lots of clean chums in the Squamish systems though

I've seen only one,caught by me around December 15th during steelhead season in the Apache run above Allison on Roe... Was back in the 80s, when you could not keep chum, so I had to release it... The thing was an absolute bar of chrome, the sides didn't even show any striping yet. We were all confused as to what species it was for awhile!

But that was only one out of at least 5,000 that were boots :)

Cheers,
Nicole

"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 03:27:47 PM »

Nicole this is the late run that comes into the Vedder. I caught one in early January at Teskey Rock, thought it was a steelhead at first, it was so bright. I kept it and when I cleaned it I found several single eggs in is stomach. Chum eggs no less.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 08:16:41 PM »

Nicole, did you get that email of some flies to try that I have had luck with?

Yes I did, thank you! I was looking for a way to get your email to thank you, as I cannot send PMs...

I'm busy tying right now, looking forward to saturday! I'm trying out some new materials, so if you send me your email I'll let you know how they do... email me at nicole@dotaku[nospam].com.. Remove that part in brackets of course.

Thanks!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

chronic

• Don't eat $hit
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 09:21:44 PM »

I have never ever seen a clean chum on that river in my life. I don't know but that's just the way it is there. There's lots of clean chums in the Squamish systems though

I've seen only one,caught by me around December 15th during steelhead season in the Apache run above Allison on Roe... Was back in the 80s, when you could not keep chum, so I had to release it... The thing was an absolute bar of chrome, the sides didn't even show any striping yet. We were all confused as to what species it was for awhile!

But that was only one out of at least 5,000 that were boots :)

Cheers,
Nicole

hrmm...that's pretty cool, way to go!  It still doesn't change the fact that I haven't seen a chrome chum in the vedder in my life/ ;D ;)