Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Liberals Fall, Hope For Our Fish This Time  (Read 16648 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Liberals Fall, Hope For Our Fish This Time
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 06:24:59 PM »

What leads you to believe the conservatives will be any more effective in dealing with our fisheries?!?!  The fact that youre voting conservative?  PC's track record sides with big business...and big business does not side with conservation.  Disagree with that and I have a number of bridges to sell you.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 10:41:19 PM »

The current policy of the Liberals is just not fish-friendly besides the scandle of wasting our tax money.  It just cannot continue on with relentless fishery budget cut. They cut funding even they have record surpluses, which tells you how low they rank fishery on their priority list. Budget cut reflects in hatchery stocking cut (look, they just cut 600K coho off from the Chilliwack/Vedder) and also lacking enforcement. Time for a change.  Politics can make a difference to your fishing & mine.  Look at the stocking done for Expo 86, and the fantastic fishing that followed.  Unless Liberals can reassure the fishing community that they can do better, I don't see any reason they should get votes from fishermen of all sectors. Time for a new begining. If the PC can keep big business like BC Packers fully operating with tons of surplus fish to harvest, I am sure sporties don't mind getting their small share.  Gee, I better stop before I sound like campaigning.  ;D  But I speak the truth.  Can any one see the way out on fishery with Liberals for another term.  ???
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 10:46:41 PM by funfish »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 10:58:55 PM »

Good post funfish. Working closely the last few years in a number of fishing organizations that have dealt with the present Federal Government I have found out they have been a disaster in so many ways.

Of course most people that follow things in the news know that as well so my statement will be nothing new.

If nothing else lets give the Conservatives a chance to try to put some honesty and integrity back into government.

No_way

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 11:24:14 PM »

Alright Captain Conservative (insert heroic music here), what is the Conservatives platform on fisheries?

"If nothing else..." what kind of endorsement is that?  There is a lot else.  Sure the liberals are slimy pigs, OK.  But there is no reason to believe that the Cons will be any better.  They've been out of government for 12 years, that means they have 12 years of support and favors to pay back.

Your not even arguing about fish, your arguing about how you support the Cons.  Why believe them?  Because they say so?

Well, I've studied politics for years and one very interesting thing that I've noticed is that 9 times out of 10, 9 of 10 people will tell you that you can't trust a politician, but at election time this commonsense piece of knowledge gets thrown out in favor of debates over what those same politicians say?! 

Odd, well good luck!  Because I really don't think it matters who gets elected: we and the fish will continue our steady decline.  Don't take this personally, I'd accost anyone pitch a party.  ;D

SilentPhilosopher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2005, 01:31:05 AM »

Just a thought...

Spain March 2004: Al-Qaida attacks Madrid in a coordinated series of commuter train bombings causing almost 2000 casualties.  This was in retaliation to Spain involvement with the United States in the invasion of Iraq.

England July 2005:  Al-Qaida attacks London's public transportation system... (this happened recently so I'm sure everyone remembers)

Anyone remember which party supported the invasion?  Remember Steven Harper passionately calling on the Liberal government to support the US invasion?  I'll never forget the sound bites of Harper telling the Canadian people that Canada should support the US led war on the basis that the US is our neighbour and that we should blindly follow them.

In hind sight, there is no question that if the Liberals hadn't kept us out of Iraq, we as Canadians would have been direct victims of terrorism like those in London and Madrid.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2005, 11:17:48 AM »

Anyone else think its absurd to base your vote on the "speculated" fisheries policies of a given party??? There ARE bigger issues...

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2005, 11:27:37 AM »

I find it discusting that people are willing to vote for a certain party out of spit towards another party. This happened in the provincial election in 2001. The provincial Liberals won by a land slide based soley on the fact the everyone despised the NDP and look at what we ended up with. I know for a fact that the Conservative candidate in my riding will win by a lnadslide, however, I will still go vote. 1. Because if you don't vote you have no right to b!tch 2. Even though I know the Conservative will win I want him to know that we're watching and that he still has to be accountable.
Actions speak louder than words.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2005, 11:48:34 AM »

Right on biff!

No_way

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2005, 03:40:49 PM »

if you don't vote you have no right to b!tch

Total rubbish!!  Our right to "b!tch" is totally separate and distinct from our right to vote. Period.  It is voters, not non-voters, that bare responsibility.  If I think they are all scum, I have to vote for scum in order to be able to call them scum?  That's just foolish.

Voters and the people who support voting are the people that legitimize the government, it's actions, and the shotty system that continually draws on these parasites to be our "leaders".

What if you opinions can't be expressed by voting?

The lesser of 2 evils is still undeniably evil.

Go ahead and vote if you want, but mathematically the likelyhood of your vote picking your MP, let alone the PM, is about the same as winning three lotto 649s in a row.  If you call stuffing a pointless piece of paper in a ballot box every few years effective democratic participation, then you have my most sincere sympathies.  But don't blame non-voters for what voters perpetuate.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2005, 03:46:56 PM »

Biff are you even old enough to vote!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2005, 04:10:13 PM »

If I think they are all scum, I have to vote for scum in order to be able to call them scum?  That's just foolish.

Ever heard of spoiling your ballot?

Voters and the people who support voting are the people that legitimize the government, it's actions, and the shotty system that continually draws on these parasites to be our "leaders".

By not voting you are turning your back to the descision making process. I know I would sleep better at night knowing that I did not sit idly by as a corrupt goverment was let into power.

What if you opinions can't be expressed by voting?

Then you need to start listening to Rage.

Go ahead and vote if you want, but mathematically the likelyhood of your vote picking your MP, let alone the PM, is about the same as winning three lotto 649s in a row.  If you call stuffing a pointless piece of paper in a ballot box every few years effective democratic participation, then you have my most sincere sympathies.  But don't blame non-voters for what voters perpetuate.

I will go ahead and vote and yes I realize that it will likley have little effect to the final outcome of the election. Actually, as I have stated before, I know my candidate doesn't stand a chance. The point I am making is that I'm sick of those apathetic loosers (cause thats what they are) whining about heathcare, education, tuition, etc. yet they can't even make the effort to get their asses to the voting station on account of the thought: "whats the point, its not like my vote is going to make a difference anyways". No way, if you are making an informed decision to not vote then I have no issue with that, but I can not stand apathy.

Oh yeah, BS I've voted in the last provincial and federal elections.
Actions speak louder than words.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2005, 04:13:32 PM »

And if you don't see a candidate that represents your views:  Run yourself.  If nobody else agrees with your views, you won't get elected.  If they do, you'll make a difference.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2005, 04:26:12 PM »

And if you don't see a candidate that represents your views:  Run yourself.  If nobody else agrees with your views, you won't get elected.  If they do, you'll make a difference.

Easier said than done DS. If you lack monetary means, your chances of being elected is Zero

No_way

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2005, 04:42:01 PM »

Ever heard of spoiling your ballot?

Umm, biff... that's not voting

By not voting you are turning your back to the decision making process. I know I would sleep better at night knowing that I did not sit idly by as a corrupt government was let into power.

Who says I sit idly?  What do you do between votes? Sit idly?

Then you need to start listening to Rage.

Start listening?  ???

I'm sick of those apathetic loosers...

Perhaps they're not apathetic losers?  Perhaps they are very politically active in other ways and/or their politics don't fit in a check box on a piece of paper.  Voting and then sitting on ones but for four years is apathetic.  Voting is only the smallest begging to our democratic rights, not the be all and end all.

Oh yeah, BS I've voted in the last provincial and federal elections.
And the world is a better place because of it?  8)

And DS, that is how all politicians got into the game.  They electoral system has and amazing power destroy and mutilate the best of intentions.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2005, 05:02:23 PM »

People who dont vote, to me, are just wannabe anarchists.  DO SOMETHING.