Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New video: Shawnigan Lake smallmouth bass  (Read 2898 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: New video: Shawnigan Lake smallmouth bass
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:23:30 PM »

Interesting and excellent quality video.  Some of those fish had beautiful stripes to them, almost tiger like.

I would have liked to seen more technical information, rods, reels, line weights etc in the video or the notes at the bottom. Why the Carolina rig and and did you try any other techniques?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:20:14 AM »

I've fished Shawnigan a few times and done well fly fishing. Smallmouths are much more structure oriented than trout and favorite hangouts include boat docks, drop offs, sunken rocks and weed beds. There are some big bass in there and a few years back I got fish in the 5 to 6lb range - they are stronger than trout that size and very acrobatic.

There is a lot of info on bass techniques on the web - just check it out.

Trout fishing this time of year can also be very good. Right now the bass must be getting ready to build nests and spawn near shore.

Shanwigan is also very popular for water skiing and as the weather warms ups becomes crowded with speed boats.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 04:09:19 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Apennock

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »

I would have liked to seen more technical information, rods, reels, line weights etc in the video or the notes at the bottom. Why the Carolina rig and and did you try any other techniques?

I agree.  Your location choices are awesome but I'm often disappointed not to hear more about your hardware and technique.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »

I've fished Shawnigan a few times and done well fly fishing. Smallmouths are much more structure oriented than trout and favorite hangouts include boat docks, drop offs, sunken rocks and weed beds. There are some big bass in there and a few years back I hot fish in the 5 to 6lb range - they are stronger than trout that size and very acrobatic.

Bass is not stronger than trout. They rarely pull out much line even it is a 5lb one.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »

Bass is not stronger than trout. They rarely pull out much line even it is a 5lb one.

Smallmouth are very strong and large fish I have hooked have run into the backing. Largemouth - well they you have a point!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »

These episodes are more about documenting the trip. For the educational component I usually have a separate tutorial which will come later.