Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Steelhead Smolt Release  (Read 2577 times)

Apennock

2017 Steelhead Smolt Release
« on: May 01, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »

Did anyone see whether the smolts went into the Vedder today?  I took a cruise up and down but didn't see any signs.  I'm hoping to take my daughter and our fly rods out once they've been released. 

buck

Re: 2017 Steelhead Smolt Release
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »

Leave the stld smolts alone. There not released so anglers can target them prior to out migration.

Apennock

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »

Fair enough, do you have any recommendations for a young person starting out fly fishing this time of year?

Jk47

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 08:16:30 PM »

Just. Wow. That's like saying, "I want to abduct a youth, can anyone point me towards a nice elementary school?"
I honestly thought I was reading one of Rieber's posts there for a moment.
- lots of lakes to fish, maybe start there?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »

Honestly, fish for em.  In the end they are a hatchery fish, do with them what you wish.

Tylsie

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »

I have to agree with Clarkii... I just can't bring myself to condemn a person for fishing legally (or at least one that is not officially frowned upon such as flossing). Especially when it is to involves bringing a child into the sport. They are hatchery fish, a put and take fishery. I don't really understand how, with the right gear, catching a steelhead when it heading out to the ocean is any different than catching it when it returns. The outcome is the same, with the possibly exception that you are lot less likely to catch a wild steelhead. 

stsfisher

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »

I think people have forgotten one thing about these hatchery smolts or rainbows.

Downstream of Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) fly fishing only, bait ban, hatchery rainbow trout release (50 cm or less), and hatchery
cutthroat release, May 1-31;

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:39:43 PM by stsfisher »

Jk47

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »

I didn't forget. And the reason for this? -So the poor little defenceless fish can go live their lives and get fat and come home from their amazing and wonderful journey - and THEN we catch them! 😉

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »

I think people have forgotten one thing about these hatchery smolts or rainbows.

Downstream of Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) fly fishing only, bait ban, hatchery rainbow trout release (50 cm or less), and hatchery
cutthroat release, May 1-31;

and closed above May 1 to June 30th
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.