Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing durring turnover - Help Lake is still frozen  (Read 1513 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
fishing durring turnover - Help Lake is still frozen
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »

Hi Guys,

Need a bit of a hand here.   Headed up to Hihium lake June 1.   I thought this would be an ok time to go up but then after booking the lake I learned that the lake is still frozen solid.    I have called a few of the resorts and they are dumbfounded as to when the lake is going to thaw.    Apparently they are expecting a "heat wave" in the next week.   

Some of the people are saying ice off is going to be May 15... which I think will give us enough time for turn over.    some people are saying may 20th and then I am starting to worry.

here are my questions.

1.   Does turn over just effect fly fishing... I don't like to bring tackle but I am thinking I should now?
2.  Have any of you fished right at turnover.   is it worth going or should I just rebook.
3.   Any tips?

I am hopeful it wont be a worry but its May 1rst.....
see ya on the river

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: fishing durring turnover - Help Lake is still frozen
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »

A group of us have been going up to Hihium for 10+ years in late June. Generally it ices off May long weekend. Although we don't stay at Hihium Lake Resort, there is a pic posted yesterday on their FB page that shows a lot of snow and ice. And for the next couple of weeks the forecasted high temps are lower than normal and the forecasted lows are lower than normal. I can't help but think that it will be later melt than May long this year. Honestly I don't what you will see on June 1 :)

I have never fished it in turnover so I don't know what to suggest 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:19:34 PM by clarki »

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »

Hmmm.  I was told The week of April 18th is typical ice off

Also they are expecting a heat wave this week.  Apparently up to 20 degrees.  Is that going to be enough.

Maybe it going to be a late ice off
see ya on the river

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »

Curious who told you April 18?

We have stayed at 2 of the resorts on the lake and both owners have told us that it typically ices off May long. Don't forget the lake is at 5000 ft. In fact, the owner of Sky Hi had a work bee last May long and the ice had just been of for a couple of days.

The long range forecast only shows one day over 20 degrees over the next two weeks, and that one day is just average. Other than that, the highs are lower, and the lows are lower, than usual.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/14-day-weather-trend/british-columbia/hihium-lake-6

My money is on a later-than-normal ice off.

When we go in late June, the weather is varied: expect rain and wind, hail is not uncommon. Bring warm clothes and good raingear. June 1 will be even more varied; even more so this year.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about the lake.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »

so if iits expected for may long weekend and this is a bad year would this put me right after ice off.    wondering what this means for fishing...

pm sent to you clarki
see ya on the river

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »

reports many of the lakes are high & colored with flushing melt water. I've never been fishing on a lake during turnover but from what I understand it usually takes place within days of ice off. It effects all fishing because it clouds the water and as the water mixes the fish distribute throughout the water column.

here's a BC based website that may provide more info. http://bcfishn.com/early-spring-fly-fishing-lake-turnover/
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.