Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to go for fishing trip?  (Read 5245 times)

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
Where to go for fishing trip?
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »

Hey guys, I've been fishing around Coquitlam for awhile now but I am not sure about other fisheries. I want to find a good place to go to with my friend for a fishing trip. The bigger the fish the better. We are willing to go just about anywhere in regions 1, 2, 3, and 8. We also have gear to stay overnight in complete wilderness situations so remote lakes that aren't frozen should be fine too. Thanks guys!  ;D

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Where to go for fishing trip?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »

Most of the Kamloops lakes are ready to go. Try lakes with the restriction of barbless hook and minimum 50cm retain size limit. The fish are usually larger.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:56:50 PM by psd1179 »

Apennock

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »

Would you guys have access to a boat?  And are you thinking the next week or so or more into the summer?  Last one, what is your and your friend's experience/patience level?

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »

Would you guys have access to a boat?  And are you thinking the next week or so or more into the summer?  Last one, what is your and your friend's experience/patience level?

We don't have access to a boat, and we'd go sometime this month of May. I am moderately experienced, been pink and chum fishing as well as rainbow trout in a couple lakes. My friend is a bit more new to fishing and we are both pretty patient.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »

If you are seriously considering the interior lakes, either go to a resort with boat rentals, or at least beg, borrow, or buy float tubes at absolute minimum. Being limited to shore or docks would be wasting 99% of that areas potential without floatation.

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »

If you are seriously considering the interior lakes, either go to a resort with boat rentals, or at least beg, borrow, or buy float tubes at absolute minimum. Being limited to shore or docks would be wasting 99% of that areas potential without floatation.

Okay. I've been shore fishing all my life, but I've wanted to get some sort of boat or something. Any recommendations for something a little on the cheaper side? Like 200-500. Either for a single person or for 2 people.

Apennock

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »

I'm a shore fisherman myself so I'm not quite so pessimistic about it's prospects.  If you don't mind hiking to a lake that's a great option this time of year as the pressure is lower and the fish are in the shallows.  You won't pull any trophy's out of it but Chadsey Lake is a lot of fun this time of year as the bass should be spawning any day now. 

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »

You could go to Vaseux lake or other lakes in Penticton. You can Camp at Vaseux and fish for bass and carp. If you have difficulties at the lake yo can go to the Pentiction channel and walk and fish your way down it. Lots of bass and trout in it.

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 07:36:42 PM »

I'm headed to St.Marys lake this weekend and was there two weeks ago as well. Some big bass and trout there and most of the cabin rental places rent boats as well. Not exactly roughing it though. For shore fishing I prefer hike in lakes as well but most of them are summer fisheries as the ice will be on for a while still.

Apennock

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 07:49:54 PM »

You could go to Vaseux lake or other lakes in Penticton. You can Camp at Vaseux and fish for bass and carp. If you have difficulties at the lake yo can go to the Pentiction channel and walk and fish your way down it. Lots of bass and trout in it.

Also no power boats permitted on Vaseux (if I'm not mistaken) so it's at least an even playing field for those of us without.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »

FYI I drove through penticton 2 days ago, the canal is rippin right now and high.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 06:18:02 AM »

Hey guys, I've been fishing around Coquitlam for awhile now but I am not sure about other fisheries. I want to find a good place to go to with my friend for a fishing trip. The bigger the fish the better. We are willing to go just about anywhere in regions 1, 2, 3, and 8. We also have gear to stay overnight in complete wilderness situations so remote lakes that aren't frozen should be fine too. Thanks guys!  ;D

If you haven't yet, I highly suggest buying a BC backroads map book. A wealth of information on where lakes are  in any given region .

Ambassador

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »

If you haven't yet, I highly suggest buying a BC backroads map book. A wealth of information on where lakes are  in any given region .
If you have this, a rod and a sense of adventure - you are good to go. That book is my bible.
The fishing one is also really good - plenty of useful info other than just maps and depths.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »

I'd go up to Tunkwa, stay at the resort for a couple of nights. Either rent a boat or fish along the shoreline, both approaches will lead you to fish. Either Al or Richard are always willing to help people who are just starting out. You can troll with the boat if you don't want to fly fish, which is almost a guarantee. Fly fishing with patterns that match the hatch is the most productive route of course, but you can also float fish a fly with a spinning outfit. If Tunkwa is too windy, head down to Logan and fish on the dock or walk the shoreline.

bobby b

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »

Good suggestions Rod.
Saw a few nice fish caught from the dock (near the campsite ) yesterday at Logan Lake. Not exactly remote wilderness, but good fishing!

Went up to Tunkwa for a look... very windy, so did not fish there as I was fishing from my fishcat float tube. I fished at Logan Lake instead. Logan is much smaller than Tunkwa .....one could easily hike the perimeter and fish, use the dock, pontoon or float tube ... not as windy too!

Boat, or at least, float tube does up a lot of options.