Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disappointing behaviours at Santuary Pond  (Read 3714 times)

KarateKick

Disappointing behaviours at Santuary Pond
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »

I would like to vent a little about something that is probably a petty matter to you.

I've been looking forward to taking my kid fishing for stocked trout as soon as the doctors allow him to go out, and Sanctuary Pond is the only one that is fairly close to the hospital. However a friend has just advised me not to go, because of some disappointing behaviours that my children may see.

This artificial lake is a much more limited resource than one may imagine, due to two factors: 1) The trout have a big tendency to stay at one small location (due to the way the drainage is designed), and 2) Fishing is allowed only on the narrow dock, and the "hot spot" is close to only one short side of the dock.

I'm told that some people have been staying at the good spot all day and not taking turns with children. In one case someone even yelled at a kid who tried to cast a little closer. These people catch and release dozens of trout while some kids are dying to hook just one fish. Maybe they feel some sense of ownership from being a "regular".

Honestly I've been less disappointed even by illegal activities (such as keeping two fish multiple times a day) when the perpetrators are courteous to others. I tell the kids not to judge people who take too much, because we don't know how poor they are. However it's harder for me to explain away the legal but inconsiderate acts.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:09:22 PM by KarateKick »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Disappointing behaviours at Santuary Pond
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »

I have always recognized that I need to be the most patient and generous to fellow anglers when they are children, and it does really grind my gears when I see others not extending the same courtesy.  All the same, I learned years ago to take the pre-judgments of others with a grain of salt, and to  give others a chance on my own.  I don't know if it was only one day or incident that made your friend feel like they should warn you of fishing at this location, but I know I would have missed many fine days of fishing with some wonderful fellow anglers if I had listened to everyone else's warnings about fishing at certain popular locations.  My advice is to check it out for yourself first, maybe without the kids.

Whenever I take more kids fishing than just my daughter (such as her entire Girl Scout troop), I arrive early to set up and politely warn the other anglers of the chaos that is about to ensue at that particular location.  Some pack up and move, others stay for the show and even are willing to help out!

KarateKick

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »

Thank you for the advice, WAfishboy.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:55:09 AM by KarateKick »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »

I'm told that some people have been staying at the good spot all day and not taking turns with children. In one case someone even yelled at a kid who tried to cast a little closer. These people catch and release dozens of trout while some kids are dying to hook just one fish.

Too bad that some people cant play nice, especially at literally the only stocked lake in the entire city. Didnt know the fishing access is so limited there as well. Very unfortunate.

If you know the exact spot you need to be staking out, maybe have some friends get there extra early and stake it out until you get there?

Or bring a box of donuts to share with the whole dock and start some dialog with everyone. Even the most selfish grinch couldn't begrudge some kid casting into the hot spot after that.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:16:15 PM »

the hot spot is the hot spot, but I've caught fish from every spot on the dock. Just takes more patience.

You could also explain that your son has very limited fishing options, and perhaps some compassion would be found.

I would not simply not go altogether based on what your friend said.

Some will hog the spot, some will share.

KarateKick

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I apologize for the whining. It was one of those "depressed mom" days when nothing was going well for the kids.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:39:50 PM »

There are jerks everywhere. I was out this morning and one of the guys there was telling anyone who would listen that he works for a "fly shop". Didn't realize Bass Pro is a "fly shop"

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 06:56:17 PM »

If you want the hot spot get there earlier.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:42:07 PM »

If you want the hot spot get there earlier.

I think you may have both missed the OP's point and violated Wheaton's Law at the same time ::)

bj23

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »

I think you may have both missed the OP's point and violated Wheaton's Law at the same time ::)

Who's Wheaton?

Tylsie

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 09:26:53 PM »

Wheaton Law  (named for Will Wheaton): Don't be a D**K

As for the OP, I hope that people would be willing to accommodate a child with limited fishing opportunities. But if not, you can catch fish in other areas, just may not ne as successful. 

Ambassador

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »

If they wont let you go where the fish are stacking up - find a nice big rock to lob into the hotspot to help distribute the fish around the lake a bit - giving everyone a chance :P
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown