Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boats way up top of the Vedder  (Read 18043 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Boats way up top of the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »

On a mid-July Saturday in 2015, I was around Lickman Road flyfishing for trout when a jet boat came upstream and came back down around 20 minutes later. It went as far as the crossing, I was later told.

If you remember July 2015, we were in the middle of a very dry summer and the Vedder was running real low. Although totally legal, it did seem a tad irresponsible to travel a small'ish river that was impacted by drought conditions, on a summer weekend afternoon, when lots of folks were out enjoying the river on inflatables.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »

My wife and I spend the summer months in our 5th wheel on the lower Vedder ... we have watched the same 2 morons jetting the river, despite probably over 100 tubers using the same area, for the past 2 years.   The disruption to nesting geese and ducks, herons, picnicker's with their kids, and anglers, is huge. I would also think fish populations are impacted as well. I totally agree, this system should off limits to power craft.

Just not sure how to get the legislation started.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »

a speed limit maybe be easier to get then a ban, I would like to see a ban imposed. I remeber before jet boats were popular on the fraser there were sections that only a few went through that new the channel.

Dryfly22

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »

I think that a regulation preventing power boats up the vedder river like I saw Friday has never been imposed because in the past boats weren't capable of doing what they can do today. Today's jet boats and the jet sleds can go places a boat never used to be able to years ago.  With no actual law in place what is prevent them from running all over the Redds and causing an incredible amount of damage to fish habitat? Something really should be done to protect the fish from these kind of irresponsible actions.   

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »

Am I the only person who is jealous of those two in the jet boats.  That looked like an awesome time, so much fun.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:52:17 PM by TheChumWhisperer »

Fitzz

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »

It's not about having fun I wouldn't want to try and stop someone from enjoying themselves. It's about the time and place for it and the danger to others as well as the damage it does to the river system. The Vedder is a special river and we are very fortunate to have this in our back yard producing fish let's not turn it into a Jett boat destination. Ban all power boats my opinion.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »

My wife and I spend the summer months in our 5th wheel on the lower Vedder ... we have watched the same 2 morons jetting the river, despite probably over 100 tubers using the same area, for the past 2 years.   The disruption to nesting geese and ducks, herons, picnicker's with their kids, and anglers, is huge. I would also think fish populations are impacted as well. I totally agree, this system should off limits to power craft.

Just not sure how to get the legislation started.

Last time I was on the river a couple of guys went by in a custom boat the boat which look like a standard welded runabout has a cockpit cut in the front otherwise it's solid aluminum. They were wearing helmets. I have also seen you tube videos of the same 2 running their boat on the Vedder. Same guys?

I'd like to see power boats off the river above the Sumas.

Navigation is a Federal responsibility and I believe it's just a regulation change I guess. I believe there are safety issues given how much use by anglers , tubers and increasingly drift craft anglers there is. Contacting the Federal and Provincial Ministers is a start. Support from local governments is also required as I think most of the time they do look for a request from the local government.

I'd sign a petition for sure.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 07:35:40 PM »

contact Chilliwack municipal hall first and get them on board.....maybe bylaws would be enough. If not then a city endorsed complaint can be lodged by the city to the feds. With the spring freshet on the fraser already in progress expect the vedder canal to get a lot busier with these clowns..

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »

I'd sign a petition for sure.

Amen.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »

The Master was looking into this with the Fed's a few months ago and if I remember it is a complex matter getting this stopped, I will see him tomorrow and will ask him what they told him and report back.

bigrig

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »

Thank you Chris

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 08:27:23 PM »

im guessing none of the people in this thread own a jet boat
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 09:16:12 PM »

im guessing none of the people in this thread own a jet boat
I know several who do, but they stay off the Vedder.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »

I know several who do, but they stay off the Vedder.

They must be the yahoos I see running their jet boats on the Brunette...

SPEYMAN

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 11:36:03 PM »

There are many rivers in the province that restrict motorized vessels. They are shown as such in the B.C. Fishery Regulations. You may want to contact that department and get the information as to what would be required to stop motorized vessels on a body of water.