Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boats way up top of the Vedder  (Read 18047 times)

bigrig

Boats way up top of the Vedder
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:22:48 PM »

I'm posting for a friend.While fishing up near Tamihi today,suddenly a few motor boats come barreling up river and beach themselves opposite the River Sanctuary B+B.Maybe it's legal but just wondering what others think about it.There was a local guide in a pontoon with a client and I wonder what his thoughts were trying to get his customer into a fish.Definitely a shocker but I guess it's one of those because they can type deals!

Taboo

Re: Boats way up top of the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:34:08 PM »

Was on the river today and saw 2 jet boats roaring down...no fishing gear in sight, looked like they were just out to tear it up.  Also saw a pair of very over sized pontoon boats with oars.  These folks were doing a pontoon version of the dory boats you see in Washington state all the time.  This is the first time in 20 years on the river I saw anything other than a river rafter!  Maybe I live a sheltered life.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:53:36 PM »

It was probably Chris and Rod.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »

I'm posting for a friend.While fishing up near Tamihi today,suddenly a few motor boats come barreling up river and beach themselves opposite the River Sanctuary B+B.Maybe it's legal but just wondering what others think about it.There was a local guide in a pontoon with a client and I wonder what his thoughts were trying to get his customer into a fish.Definitely a shocker but I guess it's one of those because they can type deals!

Sad to think that there will have to be a fatal accident caused by a jet boat operator on such a small multi-user type river, before power boats are banned from the canal up to the lake.

Until then, all users have to expect the unexpected.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »

I saw the rafter boat drifting by a young couple all the time. They chucked spey line in most of the runs. But haven't seen they land fish.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:32:23 PM »

I saw the rafter boat drifting by a young couple all the time. They chucked spey line in most of the runs. But haven't seen they land fish.

A drifter is okay in my opinion as they are really only a danger to themselves - and that's okay as they are aware of the risks.

I hated when I finally got to my fishing hole and the rafters or kayaks or pontooners came dowe. They just go right over your hole  they don't care. I just smile, shake my head and mutter obscenities in my head - even give them a friendly wave. Even though I know that often moves the fish enough to get them into the biting mood but still, I have hard feelings when they go by. I know it's tough beans to me and that I have to share my river but I've been able to cope with this by me avoiding going to the river.  ::)

skitterbug

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 10:04:43 PM »

A drifter is okay in my opinion as they are really only a danger to themselves - and that's okay as they are aware of the risks.

I hated when I finally got to my fishing hole and the rafters or kayaks or pontooners came dowe. They just go right over your hole  they don't care. I just smile, shake my head and mutter obscenities in my head - even give them a friendly wave. Even though I know that often moves the fish enough to get them into the biting mood but still, I have hard feelings when they go by. I know it's tough beans to me and that I have to share my river but I've been able to cope with this by me avoiding going to the river.  ::)

Sorry to hear about that. When I drift rivers,​ I'm on the opposite side of the river from the Angler and try to disturb the water as little as possible.

I think part of the problem is, most are going down by the seat of their pants. They're probably in survival mode and have none to very little river reading skills, so it might not be intentional, but it is the Wack so who knows.

I've heard​ two people have flipped their boats on the lower Chilliwack this year, one was a guided trip. That scary, because if you know what you're doing there's NO WAY you should be flipping on the lower section!

Other than the Fraser, I don't think jet boats and similar boats should be allowed on rivers. If they are, they should only travel downstream only so they can see other user. I've seen some close calls on the Thompson with kayakers and seadoo's and jet-boaters. It only a matter of time before there's a fatality.

banx

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 08:43:27 AM »

the vedder deserves its own reality show

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:47:24 AM »

Jet boats have been on the Vedder for a few years now and some mishaps have happened, running up onto gravel bars etc..

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »

Filmed this boat a few years ago on the Vedder. https://youtu.be/on4B-YC1R7o

Fitzz

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »

The topic isn't really about the drift boats. But I do understand some people's questions regarding this . The real question is jet boats ripping up the river at a high speed not knowing what or who is around the corner .. Easily could of hit a fisherman crossing the river or a fly fisherman standing in the river  or even a guide floating down the river. I personally witnessed it and they are not just out for a cruise. At one point the decided to do a donut in a pool where a fellow was drift fishing in a pool all by himself. I personally think it's ridiculous that they allow this to happen on the Vedder river . We should start a petition saying no power boats past the highway bridge . I think there is a time and place for boats and the Vedder is not the place .

Blackrt03

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 11:08:29 AM »

Saw those two a#%#holes heading up river disturbing the water....no courteous at all. IMO there should be no motor boats at all on the Vedder.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »

Was fishing the CHEHALIS RIVER, bush whacked, cut a trail, replied down by rope in the canyon. was letting my hole rest drifters came down took a cast caught one a destroyed my hole.

we all feel the pain

next day went to the store to look at drift boats

Dryfly22

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »

I also witnessed the two Jet sleds roaring up the river at full throttle.  They had total disregard for the fishermen on the river.  In fact I was sitting back Osborne pool getting ready to fish it.  They came roaring up into the pool doing doughnuts kicking up rooster tails, then proceeded up and around the island and back down to the pool.  A fisherman across the river had a chat with them and expressed his displeasure.  As they left one of the jet sledders roared over towards the water he was fishing did a doughnut and as he sped off threw up his hand at the fisherman.  Basically flipping him the bird without putting up the finger.
While there is no law against power boats on the Vedder river the total disregard for others on the water was disgusting, and looked to me to be deliberate.  I also agree that there should be no power boats on the Vedder.  The people drifting and kayaking the river that I have seen, and I have seen many, have always been respectful of the fishermen.  This post is in no way about them.
The Vedder river should not be about that kind of thing.  It could have just as well happen at any time of the year like October when the river is full of fish returning to spawn.  These jet sleds were running up in inches of water in places at full throttle.
I also support a ban on power boats above the highway bridge.