Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying A Unit For The Backroads  (Read 9989 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Buying A Unit For The Backroads
« on: July 01, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »

Any suggestions what to buy and where one could get the best buy?

Thanks.

I have most backroad maps for BC but I have been told a unit for ones' vehicle is excellent too.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Re: Buying A Unit For The Backroads
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »

If you are talking about GPS units, I'd get a Garmin handheld which allows you to download the BC backroads map books onto the unit.  The last time I checked into this (about 6 months ago) there was a unit available and with the maps I mentioned the unit would run 500 bucks maybe even more.  That's why I didn't buy it.  TOO MUCH $$$.  My buddy got one on sale at Wal Mart or Crappy Tire and he loves it.  HE uses 2 GPS units.  He's got the Garmin for the vehicle which shows the highway, and side roads etc and when he is looking for lakes, trails etc. he can use the handheld to closely follow his track, with the vehicle GPS mounted on the window, he can always see where he is in relation to the paved roads.  One day I'm sure they will have a vehicle mounted GPS that will accept the backroads downloads.

If this post isn'y about GPS's then disregard this reply. :o
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Fillibert

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »

Smart phone GPS is getting better and better and new backroad maps are always available to update. I don't have a use for one at the moment but have heard good things from other people.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »

Smart phone GPS is getting better and better and new backroad maps are always available to update. I don't have a use for one at the moment but have heard good things from other people.

Problem with smart phone GPS is when you lose your service you lose your GPS.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »

Problem with smart phone GPS is when you lose your service you lose your GPS.

The new google driven android phones will apparently be solving that problem.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fillibert

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »

Nope GPS is separate from network location services. My buddy's galaxy nexus can even use Google maps while he has no data connection. And the new antennas are damn accurate

Bushman512

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:44 AM »

Nope GPS is separate from network location services. My buddy's galaxy nexus can even use Google maps while he has no data connection. And the new antennas are damn accurate

yup! my Android cell keeps on ticking (GPS wise) even in cell dead zones.........very accurate.

also check out some of the Open Source maps .........

speycaster

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »

I have a Montana 600, good unit. Don't need an extra one as it downs it all, even keeps me away from GM place automatically. ;D Except when the Habs are kicking canuck butt..

islanddude

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »

Chris.You can buy a fair amount of gas for $500. A good map and compass don't lie.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »

Chris.You can buy a fair amount of gas for $500. A good map and compass don't lie.

--I always take both... as Chris already has most of the paper copies the Garmin with Same Backroads maps as back up.
--I found now that Forestry does not enforce nor insist on road maintenance... even when it is required... not talking about roads that are not supposed to be maintained.
--I found in 100 mile area some FSR... that were so poor I could not believe I had found the correct junction with my maps... The GPS confirmed that
--I was at the correct junction thus I tried the indicated road... of course after going down a better maintained road about 30 meters away that seemed to be the correct road. What I found especially if driving with no navigator that the GPS unit allowed quick reference... this was of particular importance when hunting as some of the roads are boundaries of hunting units with different regulations. The GPS was reassurance that I was in the correct unit etc.
--I always carry back up map and if possible air photo or downloaded google map of specific areas of interest.
--Other use was for finding closest highway access or Gas Station.. again the GPS gave time and distance references that proved to be useful.
--For use in vehicle get largest screen you can afford.. if you intend to carry in the bush as well then a compromise with addition of a water proof case.
--I don't know how the interface works but I have seen some with hook up to their lap top as well giving a much larger area map.

--If you take a look on the Backboards map site they give some suggestions for compatible units.

Fillibert

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

speaking of laptop I wonder what the cops use for GPS

Electroman

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »

I use a Garmin Vista HCX. It's a small hand held gps and I loaded the topo Canada maps onto it. Shows most dirt roads rivers, streams and lakes and all elevations as well. I have it with me when I go hunting in my back pack in some real thick bush and usually don't get worse than +/- 4M with it which is good enough for my needs. Gps was ~$300 and maps where $80 or so if I remember correctly.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:57 AM »

Thanks very much to all that have given this good info.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »

Smartphone GPS is pretty great nowadays and can be used offline as wel (no need for cell coverage)l.   Open source maps (free) are great and there are a few others for a nominal fee.  

I have not used my  Garmin GPS since learning how functional and accurate my smartphone is.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 02:12:29 PM »

Smartphone GPS is pretty great nowadays and can be used offline as wel (no need for cell coverage)l.   Open source maps (free) are great and there are a few others for a nominal fee.  

I have not used my  Garmin GPS since learning how functional and accurate my smartphone is.

I guess either way as long as its charged.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!