Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: here fishy fishy??  (Read 8903 times)

fishfulthinkin

Re: here fishy fishy??
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »

thanks for the tips RBTW, see thats all i was looking for, no spots given, no secret holes to be raped as of tomorrow. just some knowledge of whats going on and if anything has been working
cheers man!

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 01:36:55 AM »

i am 0 for 7 with springs because. then they spat the hook >:(
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Fish Slayer

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 05:38:29 AM »

ChromeKings it's hard to tell that you're asian as well unless it's something I have just overlooked or it's because I haven't seen any pics you have posted.

Back on track here, I haven't been skunked yet since the river has opened, been out 7 times now

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 11:50:45 AM »

Just to clarify, my previous post was not a response to Dave's report on people fishing outside the boundary.

Anyway, I was looking through my files on the new boundary being in effect after Fish Slayer mentioned that there are no notices of it being closed. I couldn't find any but seem to recall that the boundary change and limit hole closure is now permanent. This morning I enquired and it is indeed closed permanently but that closure information does not seem to be available anywhere. A fishery notice will come out this week to address that problem and notify anglers that it is indeed closed. If you are up that way, please let others who are fishing in that area know.

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »

if Fish Slayer did his "homework" like he says he did he would have gone up there and seen numerous NO FISHING signs.  I saw the signs opening day and called in to check on the regs.  It is closed as Rod says.

Homework Grade: F-   ;)

Seriously.  Try and be a little more polite when making comments on these sites.  The holier than thou attitude is getting old.  We are all on this site to share information, tips and stories about our favorite sport.  A joke is a joke but comments like this....

"Also if you guys did your homework and checked for in season changes like you should each time before you go fish you would know that it is actually open to fish that area."

....take on a sour tone and provide false information.  The same point could have been made without talking down to other members on this site.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 01:05:20 PM by Spiznack »
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »

Good stuff Rodney.  Because Fishery Officers have their hands full on the Fraser, Chilliwack Hatchery staff are checking this site when they have the time and warning anglers of the closure.  One of the problems is the signage is quite high in the trees - not at eye level.  Apparently those more visible signs were vandalised early on.
Looking forward to seeing the official notice as this necessary legislation was a tough sell to angling advocacy groups and DFO's recreational fishing managers.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »

Spiznack as Rodney said the notice was not put out, so if I did actually fish limit and had gotten a ticket it wouldn't be too hard to get out of paying the fine. I wasn't talking down either and sure wasn't dishing out a houlier than thou speech either.  It wouldn't be too hard to make up some fake postings and staple it to some trees, without an actual legal notice it means nothing so I did not provide false information as you accused me of doing.

Now I'm saying this in a calm voice: you should practice what you just preached to me and not talk down to people as it does get old real fast and is rather childish.   :P  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »

The upper boundary description has been adjusted now in the freshwater salmon regulations:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

rides bike to work

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »

The fishing boundry triangles are also clearly moved down stream visable from all angles

Fish Slayer

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »

So what is the reason for closing limit hole?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »

So what is the reason for closing limit hole?

pretty much to protect the reds that are stacking in there so they can get there brood stock.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 05:35:03 PM »

pretty much to protect the reds that are stacking in there so they can get there brood stock.

I still have to read the thread that Rodney posted a link to (lol so much to read) but why doesn't the hatchery just net limit hole for brood or have brood anglers like they do for steelhead?

Will the closure be lifted in sept like they did last year?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 09:08:13 PM »

No.  This is a permanent closure.  Seine netting that pool would be impossible and is not necessary.  Better to let the fish migrate upstream naturally when they are ready. 

Apart from the questionable angling methods that seem so prevalent at this particular area, there is perhaps a more compelling reason why fish tend to spend more time than normal in this pool, therefore more susceptible to anglers and why this area should be closed to anglers.   This is where Slesse Creek and the Chilliwack River meet.  The water chemistry from each system is quite different and could be confusing to these stressed, sexually hormone charged, soon to die but must spawn fish.
DFO’s Cultus Lake Laboratory analysed water samples submitted last September – alkalinity (measured as mg CaCO3/L) in Slesse Creek was nearly twice that of the Chilliwack; 65.4 vs 38.3.  pH in Slesse was 7.47, the Chilliwack 7.24. 
These are reasonable enough numbers but when suddenly mixed together along with the water effluent (feces, urine, pheromones, hatchery by products, etc) from rearing several million juvenile coho, chinook, and steelhead from the Chilliwack River hatchery that flows into Slesse Creek and is mixed into this soup I think it would be best for these fish to be left alone to, stage.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 09:11:29 PM »

Dave (seems like you work at the hatchery? lol) are the red springs not a run that was introduced to the river?