Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: here fishy fishy??  (Read 8902 times)

fishfulthinkin

here fishy fishy??
« on: July 20, 2010, 01:22:12 AM »

where are all the fish on the vedder. a friend and I have spent many hours on the vedder the past 2 weeks. about 5+ hours a day working from a few kms up from the bridge and below to peach.. trying things from colarado spinners, other lures, wools, jensen eggs. spin'n'glows. we havent even seen a fish do as much as roll. (although we were fortunate enough to catch 3 pint size trout on the fly..about 4 inches)
I know there arn't many in the river right now. but is anyone having any luck? suggestions for lures that have worked both gear and flies, time of day thats been best? which parts of the vedder are best holding these fish? (i know people have their spots im not asking for specific directions but perhaps a generalized area)
me and my buddy are just trying to get into some fish to start off the season we've deffinantly been putting in the foot work but no luck as of yet! pleaseeee S.O.S
cheers
~thinkin'

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: here fishy fishy??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:26:36 AM »

try going down a little lower on the river  ::) or even maybe higher on the river LOL dont just keep pounding the same area all the time. You NEED to move around. I was out today for about 5 hrs and i fished 4 runs in total, well i fished parts of each run because there was other guys around LOL  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:46:10 AM »

any suggestion on which part is seeing more action tho? upper or lower? i understand its all about moving and covering ground. which we do. just to no luck... as of yet.
as well it just seems that the reports are limited on the board. just more or less trying to find out if anyone else has seen much action yet.
thanks for the info

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:04:55 AM »

We fished some decent holes mid-river and above Tamahi on Saturday and did not see a fish. Water was clear but no fish moving, no fish rising.
Weather was great but I'd have to say it was a little disappointing.

gumby

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:29:14 AM »

the upper seems to be producin the most, not the greatest though, but fish are bein caught, was there on sunday and saw 5 bein played

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »

and hear i keep hearing the lower is producing best and heard it from several guys that are out there every day  ;) and live locally but lest face it the fish move around now dont they
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »

To a degree, this site is a victim of its own success.  We have more than 4000 members now here on fishing with rod...I dont think anyone should really be giving specific locations...even general ie above the tamahi, below the crossing, blah blah blah....fish move, it changes from day to day and if you do post anything specific it will be beaked out the next day.  

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »

Heard a report today that several people were seen fishing  ;)at the "limits hole" yesterday.  Remember, this area is now permanently closed to protect staging fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

Damn what an idiot, must be someone from FWR.

Nitroholic

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »

My exact thoughts, Chromekings

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:31 PM »

which is why i wasnt asking for your secret hole. just a side of the river where people have atleast SEEN a fish. i understand that you have to put in the time and footwork. i totally respect that and have a few spots of my own that i dont share but they just havent been producing as of yet. im a local on the sardis side very close to the river so i know how ppl like to have their secrets. sorry if i've offended, just lookin for some tips after seeing nothing after putting in a good 20hrs over the past 2 weeks. feel free to PM if you dont want everyone and their dog getting a wiff of some news.
thanks for any info :)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 04:21:06 PM »

yes, it is frustrating to have someone cork in when you're fishing a tight run, especially when you got to that spot nice and early...unfortunately almost all the known holes on the vedder are susceptible to crowding...the sad thing is the lack of consideration and etiquette some people show. i suppose it goes with the territory.

strobes

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »

a buddy and i were out early (4:30am) sunday and fished 3 different holes, he had no luck for salmon, but i caught some decent size trout on a fly, the biggest being about 12 inches.  we saw a 2 salmon rise but that was it.  he had caught 2 in 11 days before that though.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

rides bike to work

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »

Ive had good luck this year wit the red springs in the lower river the tips I can give are ,the fish just started moving in three days ago and in my experience might only last another 5-10 days,location isnt to important any nice looking deeper water, time of day is key evenings are the only time we have caught springs sockey early evening and springs late evening like 830pm.If people dont have advice or an answer to the question asked they should stay off the thread.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »

It was...Asian with a FISHINGWITHROD patch on the back of his vest and was using a spinning rod with 80lbs Spiderwire while bottom bouncing with a 4oz betty and a 12ft leader. ;D

I don't understand how his nationality has anything to do with him fishing a section of water?  Also if you guys did your homework and checked for in season changes like you should each time before you go fish you would know that it is actually open to fish that area. I just checked the and there is no note of it being closed.