Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where do you want the Monies raised in the derby to go ??

Chilliwack River Action Committee
sportsfishing Defense Alliance
Steelhead Society Of B.C.
Family Fishing Society

Author Topic: Where should the money go ???  (Read 8856 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Where should the money go ???
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 07:47:13 AM »

I too would like to know as I would hate to see a donation from hard working people go to waste. I say if the vote is so close we just donate it to childrens hospital or to the Cancer society.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

LargeMouthMinnow

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 07:56:26 AM »

Seems so close, all good causes....since it's a steelhead derby, the logical choice seems to be the Steelhead Society.  Like Rod said, we aren't going to be able to make everyone happy.  Not like anyone will be unhappy if it goes to the Steelhead Society.
The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the pow'r
To say just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour!
Now is the only time we have, to do the what you will;
Do not delay another day, your clock may then be still!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 08:36:08 AM »

If you want to learn more about SSBC go to the AGM here are the details

DATE: Sunday, November 30, 2008

TIME: 11 am to approximately 2 pm

PLACE: BCGEU Fraser Valley Area Office 8555 - 198A Street, Langley Twp (“Twp” required for mapquest)

AGENDA: 
11 am: Thompson River update, Rob Bison, Ministry of Environment
12:30 to adjournment:

Door Prizes ( more reasons to go )
A st croix float rod retail value: $299.98
fenwick levelwind rod and reel value $199.98
Islander 4.0 lx retail value $699.98
CND GPS spey line. reatil value $139.99

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »

I am very happy to see how many votes we had on this poll !!!! 71 voters so far !! hopefully all those who have voted will be able to make it to the derby in Febuary, I am working with a few people this year all of whom are talking to the local area tackle shops and we are all working towards getting as many people out as possible, looking at the response so far it looks like we will easily exceed 100 entries this year  ;D ;D ;D I have a few more ideas in the works and if all goes well we should have a very nice $$ total this year to donate!!!
Thx to everybody that is taking part and I hope that we can all be happy in the end that we raised a good chunk of money for a worthy cause.

just so you all know, a prize list is being assembled as we speak and all I can say is WOW !!! this derby will be the best yet for prizes and monies raised !!

cheers Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »

If you want to learn more about SSBC go to the AGM here are the details

DATE: Sunday, November 30, 2008

TIME: 11 am to approximately 2 pm

PLACE: BCGEU Fraser Valley Area Office 8555 - 198A Street, Langley Twp (“Twp” required for mapquest)

AGENDA: 
11 am: Thompson River update, Rob Bison, Ministry of Environment
12:30 to adjournment:

Door Prizes ( more reasons to go )
A st croix float rod retail value: $299.98
fenwick levelwind rod and reel value $199.98
Islander 4.0 lx retail value $699.98
CND GPS spey line. reatil value $139.99

As much as i think it would be very informative to attend the AGM, I have to work and cannot attend ,not everyone is able to attend these meetings that is why i think a little info on the website about what these groups are all about will be helpfull ,also while some of us may have more knowledge of what these groups do there are many more concerned anglers that don't ,the more info available will help everyone make a more knowledgable selection for the donation.example,look at all the votes for CRAC, In a perfect situation one would think CRAC would be perfect to donate the money to in order to help the very river the derby is being held at,but in reality how active has CRAC been lately,were they not the group that turned down the donation from this derby last year,to some point I'm sure all of these organizations are worthy of the donation but having a little more insight into what they are doing is not a bad thing.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »

I live on the Island and well be joining. I know these guys care about the resource as these guys are just like the rest of us. They are anglers. They are also hoping to open chapters here on the Island and the North Coast. I cant make the meeting either but well get the minutes from the meeting.

I am sure once the meeting is over you can go on some of the other sites ( flybc ) and see the discussions regarding the meeting.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 02:52:25 PM »

It is nice to post a link but I would like to see someone from the organizations to tell us what this money would help do for their organization. Cammer already told us what it could be used for if it went to the family fishing weekend and I am sure the SDA would use it to fight the government especially with the gravel removal. CRAC keeps talking about stabilizing the clay banks but they seem to be getting worse and I have herd absolutly nothing about what the steelhead society has been doing.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »

The steelhead society has had very little interest for the last while. while we all know steelhead are getting fewer and fewer, this has inspired many peoples interest. the membership was low, but with the 75 active members the society still contributes to several projects that our small budget allows.The website was inactive for a long while, costs to update and run the web sites were too much, but we have several people interested in doing it for free, so be patient we will have an updated site soon.(perhaps just after the AGM). we will be listing projects that volunteers are needed, and where the money has gone. there are more and more people signing up every day, we welcome any person to join and have a voice in where you want the money to go.

Bottom line, the money goes to steelhead.

some of the projects that have been done with the society's money are, shovelnose creek habitat restoration,spawning channels ( this is a trib to the squamish) A water gauge on the clearwater, a trib to the nicola on the Thompson, this water gauge also has a yearly cost to do maintenance. these gauges are used to monitor water flows. also the money has gone into stream fertilization on rivers such as silverhope,coquihalla,and several other rivers in the fraser valley and squamish.
there are many more projects that we have done but, I will post more later.

I will keep everyone updated on the society's progress.

Jim

btw thanks, BB for the posts.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 07:30:59 PM »

I have spoken to the acting president and some directors (other than my self ::)) and they would like the money to go to the CRAC, or used by CRAC to pay for stream fertilization/habitat....

we will work together........

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 08:37:30 PM »

good to hear,thanks for the info JBJ,its good to hear that interest in the steelhead society is on the rise,for a while there it was like they fell off of the face of the earth.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:41:22 PM by searun17 »
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »

Agreed Cammer, I'm just a little grouchy latley...........sorry

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »

Rick, perhaps for now we should simply generalize by saying that donated fund will go toward the Chilliwack River habitat? In the meantime, perhaps Jim can find out from Greg at MoE or the SSBC to possibly set up a day fertilization project so it could be presented to derby participants at the end of the derby. I could also find out from Dave at CRAC what future projects have been planned out. If I recall correctly from my last conversation with him, there are no immediate plans to do work on the slides due to funding shortage. Unfortunately these slide stabilization projects are much more expensive, in the 10s of thousands of dollars so perhaps fertilization or some similar stream enhancement projects would be more viable options.

I agree that the donating individuals cannot tell the organization that they are donating to what they should do, however it doesn't hurt to explore unconventional ideas if it mutually benefits every party. Not only we have the opportunity to revive two very worthy organizations by supporting financially and supplying hours, it could keep participating anglers more informed on work done on the stream that they enjoy fishing so much.

Lets make a quick decision and move onto the next phase, which is for me to update the derby page and set up a pinned thread on the forum so we can start planning the little fun details, like the post derby feast. :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 09:53:12 PM »

And the prizes.

And of course, the trash talk. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »

Just received this from Dave. It seems that CRAC is alive and well. If CRAC receives the approval of the majority of the voters I am sure CRAC would put the proceeds of the derby to good use on the Anderson Run this Summer.

There are nice surprises every once and a while.  We have just been approved for a Grant of $15,417.00 for the next year from the Bingo Affiliation, BC Gaming Commission, for our clay slide stabilization and off channel restoration work.  Along with our present funds this gives us enough to do a worthwhile stabilization phase next summer at the Anderson Run clay slide. 

This is good news after not receiving anything from the Fraser Salmon and Watersheds Program, the Community Salmon Program of PSF or the HCTF.  We must now proceed with the Sec. 9 approval paperwork.  …and a Merry Christmas to our river, there is always hope.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2008, 06:35:42 PM »

I think the Anderson run(as shown on the Vedder river map) slide Chris is refering to is the one below Allisons just above Nickersons and upstream of the  Slesse and Tolmie slides .
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart