Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where do you want the Monies raised in the derby to go ??

Chilliwack River Action Committee
sportsfishing Defense Alliance
Steelhead Society Of B.C.
Family Fishing Society

Author Topic: Where should the money go ???  (Read 8855 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Where should the money go ???
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »

Hey everyone, I can see by reading the replies on the derby post that there is alot of discussion on where the money should go this year, I want this to be fair and I don't want it to be my decision alone.... I have set up a poll and in the end the organization with the most votes gets the money ... simple as that

happy voting !!

Rick
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:39:29 AM by TrophyHunter »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
Re: Where should the money go ???
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 04:24:37 PM »

looks like whoever gets it,  it is going to be close !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »

At least if it goes to the family fishing society it would really help with getting the educational aspect of ethical fishing out there for those to learn. So my vote is for them. The education has to start somewhere and this is the perfect place for the money as most of the people there are beginners to fishing.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »

Since the derby is going to be held on the Vedder my vote goes to the Chilliwack River Action Committee.

Nucks

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »

It would ne nice to know which derby you are referring to? Not everyone is from the coast.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »

It would ne nice to know which derby you are referring to? Not everyone is from the coast.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19295.0

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »

The Defence Alliance gets my vote. Without them fighting for the sports fishermen we can all kiss fishing access to our local rivers away. Vedder included.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »

They are all good causes, but the SDA gets my vote.  If we don't help them fight for our fishing rights, we may not have any in a few years time.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »

Not to throw a wrench in this question...ok, hell yes, i'll throw a wrench sucker...You've done a great job and each year I believe raised over a thousand bucks for your cause..

To play devils advocate, I don't know if any of your choices really apply the money for/where it is needed most...

I would like to suggest a couple things...

If you want this money to go to the rivers..Maybe ask Rodney (as he's got his finger on the pulse so to speck) and find out what program can actually benefit the most from the money? ( i.e. hatchery program on the vedder,)
I believe the hatchery is always looking for volunteers etc. and i'd bet that they could use the extra money(s)

It would be interesting to know what other groups could benefit? Is there a group that is actually going to put up some shoring to block off the clay bank? I know allot more is being done with a helluva lot less...

As much as you ask us where the money should go, this is your derby and you should, while maybe asking advice, be the one who chooses where it goes...

Personally, if it went to a scholarship each year for a kid who is going to school to become a marine biologist or something that helps our oceans, that would be a great choice...

If you donated the money to Canuck house etc...they are run on donations...that would be a great choice as well...

There's a program that takes returning wounded soldiers out and shows them that  they can fish even when they've lost a limb etc. That or the Vedder hatchery would be my #1 choice...

Hell you could rent a hall for the night and get all the bums in chilliwack drunk  and call it"All Saint Ricks"  day and you might have a statue build for you in a few years...

I guess what i'm saying is, giving money to these organizations is so vanilla, it sounds good, you get a handshake and then what? Putting TR derby on a scholarship, hatchery enhancement, or a day on the water for a returning vet. sure makes more sense to me!!!

Fly section will be donating all it's hard earned gains to "All Saint Dicks Day" bring out the rum!!!! ;D

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:14:23 AM by Xgolfman »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 03:36:20 PM »

Chilliwack River Action Commitee. I say this because the river needs some serious help in regards with the clay banks. Heck the river might not even be fishable that day if we have a good rain..... May as well donate it to the river it is held on and actually make it fishable (for the most part) for the whole season.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

Seeing it is a steelhead derby, and the steelhead society does get the moneys matched from many other groups .I think this would be a good option. I have caught thousands of these buggers, now I hope some of the younger fellas, and Gals can catch them in the future.

There are some projects coming up such as stream fertilization, habitat restoration and water use alternitives. I would be happy to post more projects that happen as they come along.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »

Rick i hope you try the catch and release category this year,  wild fish or Hatchs released, digi pic of fish for the same prizes as killed fish,  will be seen as a good aspect to any derby?  thoughts
Yes I have thought about it, the first year I held the derby we talked about it, unortunately there would be no fair way of comparing a picture to an actual fish, we have already seen how close the weights can be ( whithin an ounce)

The only fair way of doing it would be to have separate classes..... And for this derby which is not that big it doesn't make sense , we are already concidering having a fly only division which means more work and organization  as it is.

Thankyou for the suggestion, but I think I will keep it as a bonked hatchery fish derby.

Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 11:03:01 AM »

Since both Chilliwack River Action Committee and Steelhead Society of BC are receiving equally higher amount of votes, here is an idea for Rick to toy with.

Those who have chosen the Chilliwack River Action Committee probably wish to see the money goes into the river where the derby is held. At the same time I'm sure many have reservation on supporting CRAC financially due to its lack of activity lately. The Steelhead Society of BC conducts projects across the province where steelhead streams are in need of help. Perhaps the money can go into the Steelhead Society of BC for a specific project that can be carried out on the Chilliwack River? A day-project such as in-stream fertilization, spawning channel expansion or riparian repair next summer can let those who donate be physically involved in it as well. Perhaps Rick can find out more from Jim, who can discuss with Greg from MoE to get something going? Just an idea.

I also think Rick should decide which group he thinks is best to support after all the information is given to him. Don't just based on the votes in this thread, since the derby is not held on behalf of the forum, there surely will be non-forum members participating in this event. Whichever group you choose, I'm sure most will be happy and support your decision. Obviously some will not approve, but you can't please everyone in this real world. ;)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »

We can donate our money to whoever we want but we can't really tell them what to do with it. Only "High Rollers" can do that, and that's definitely not us. You don't donate to cancer research and tell them you only want the money to go to a research center in BC. Doesn't work that way.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »

I was just thinking that there may be some indecision on some voters  as to were the donation could go to , and maybe a little info  on what these groups recent past and future projects that they plan to work on could go a long way to helping people make a informed choice,i see there is some info about some of these groups but i personally would like to know more depth about the steelhead society ,what recent projects have they been involved in and what plans going forward are they currently working on or are planning to be part of.Do they have an up to date web site etc.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:05:30 AM by searun17 »
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.