- 3 (8.6%)
Sunday February 8th
- 4 (11.4%)
Saturday February 14th
- 8 (22.9%)
Sunday February 15th
- 20 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: 2009 Trophy Hunter Steelhead Derby  (Read 9932 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: 2009 Trophy Hunter Steelhead Derby
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 11:41:27 AM »

I say 3rd week of January. Not too many people on the river, and allows for a bunch of new fresh fish to come after a bunch were caught in the boxing day derby.
The Bigger The Better!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »

Hey Rick thanks for putting this on again, I've still got the hat from last year, and the rod and reel combo I won as well. The date does'nt affect me to much but I like the idea of having it mid-Feb. or the following weekend as there will be more steel in the river. Just let me know and I'll be there with friends. Thanks again Rick.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »

Hey Rod could you please add the dates of   Sat Feb 14th and Sun Feb 15th to the poll, and maybe wipe it clean so those who have already voted may vote again if the new dates are more suitible,

Thx Rickl

Hey Rick, how about just Sunday February 8th and 15th, otherwise there are too many options and the votes would be really spread out. I've locked the poll for now. Let me know and I'll reset and edit it for you.

I really think we need to offer up all four days as an option, I know that the weekend matters to some but so does the day, lets make it a four day option and whichever day wins will be the new derby day ....

Thx Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »

I say 3rd week of January. Not too many people on the river, and allows for a bunch of new fresh fish to come after a bunch were caught in the boxing day derby.

Last year we had the derby later in January and there wern't that many fish in the system, I definately think that holding it in Febuary will make a big difference.... and all those people that will be on the river will hopefully be taking part of the derby  ;)

Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »

Ok done, poll reset and unlocked, please re-vote. :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »

Some of us have GF. The 14th is not a good day lol. Also if the boat show is the previous weekend I'll probably be working there too. 15th gets my vote.

Hook Set

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »

15th gets my vote as well because I'm away the other weekend.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »

Hoping to make it out to this.
Thanks to all who make it happen.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »

Hey Rick,

I think I heard that the SDA has now folded and is now defunct. I may be wrong. I will be happy to accept all donations for the R.F.F.T. (Randog's fund for Tahiti)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »

Some of us have GF. The 14th is not a good day lol.

The derby is opened to both genders and for non-fishing spouses, they can take care of the cooking. ;D Anyway, it looks like 15th is the preferred date by most.

I will be happy to accept all donations for the R.F.F.T. (Randog's fund for Tahiti)

Is that where we're doing next year's calendar shoot? :o

My personal feeling on the fund raised is that it would be more beneficial to a localized group than a large province-based group such as SDA and SSBC, not that they are unworthy causes. Localized projects for the Chilliwack River such as claybank stabilization, habitat enhancement, cleanup projects and educational programs are needed and they often lack funding. Anyway, we trust Rick would make a good decision as the derby organizer. People will sign up to support the cause if they believe in it and enjoy the derby, just like the last two years. :)

jeff

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 07:58:21 PM »

Where will tickets for the derby be sold?
Enjoying the water..........

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 08:56:16 PM »

eeesh the 15th is my Birthday (21 again)  :D
not sure if i can swing it but i will try

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 11:53:51 PM »

Donating the money to use on the stabilizing of the claybanks on the chilliwack would be a great idea,what group is involved in this,i hear that it is quite a pricey job to get it done properly.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 12:28:44 AM »

Donating the money to use on the stabilizing of the claybanks on the chilliwack would be a great idea,what group is involved in this,i hear that it is quite a pricey job to get it done properly.

The claybank stabilization has been handled by the Chilliwack River Action Committee in the past and members of that committee has done a wonderful job on raising fund through public interest, private organizations and various government agencies to get the job done. Because of their effort since the mid 90's, anglers get to enjoy more fishing days on the Vedder. CRAC has not only been involved with claybank stabilization, it has also been involved with construction of additional spawning habitat in the Chilliwack River system as well as repairing riparian zones such as tree planting.

Unfortunately, since 2006 there has been a drastic drop of interests from anglers to support the effort. This was clearly shown at last year's Help Habitat Fundraiser where only a few showed up while the river was packed with anglers. Since then, many members have cut back on their work in these projects, which is understandable because they are mostly retired individuals and lack motivation to keep something going where there isn't a strong support. New committee members are needed to lead.

If anyone is interested, I recommend you to email David Lamson at dflamson@shaw.ca to find out the current status of the committee and what future projects have been planned. There certainly isn't a shortage of work to do as many already are aware of the unstable slides in the upper river. Supporting a group such as this with donation isn't just funding it financially, it shows that there is a strong public interest and urges the government to be involved as well. Anyway, as much as I want all the money goes to this group, my recommendation to Rick (if he is interested in looking into it) is to talk to Dave first and find out what is going on with CRAC first.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 09:04:17 AM »

Another idea would be to donate the proceeds to the steelhead society of BC...

Or alternately the BCFDF.

Maybe these two groups would be willing to help.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin