Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your setup?  (Read 7844 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: What's your setup?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »

Although I now have many different setups for many different waters, for a very long time this was my "go-to" setup up

The Ron Popeil pocket fisherman, this was a birthday gift for my first birthday in 1975. If I had a nickel for every fish this sweet rod has caught......well I could at least buy a coffee!

troutmuncher

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 03:15:44 AM »

For now I just concentrate on the rod,considering Trophy XL 9ft Coho King but actually I rarely do rivers unless my brother takes me to one to go after coho. Im much more interested in getting a float out as far out as possible from the shore of a lake where the fish seem to be jumping just barely out of my reach.Distance casting really ! ,usually with 1/2 oz wieght on a dink float 5/8 thick ,10lb line and of couse my favorate of all da Worrmm! Ity bitty 3 inch angle or dew baby.Now thats my style !Also love using a 1 ounce egg weight with a tiny mesh filled with yellow powerbait.Rod now is a telescopic Shimano Etage te 210ml and Sedona reel and a big telecopic 8ft Browning fiberglass and large Shakesphear saltwater spin reel for the river.Rather I go for a rod that get me out very far from a lakeshore on a float than bother with river gear,baitcasters n such.Sorry forget my previous post.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »

Perfect for the "smaller" systems eh lucky ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 10:27:30 AM »

For targeting smaller fish such as coho: St Croix 13' 7/8 weight spey blank custom built pin rod with either Mykiss, Raven Classic or Okuma Aventa CP reel.

For bigger fish:  Beulah 13'6" 8/9 weight spey blank custom built pin rod with Mykiss reel. 

Plus assorted other baitcaster setups and spinning reel setups and fly stuff now.
President Club S. C. & P.

fish bonk

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 08:21:57 PM »

My go to rod for local flows is a 9 foot Trophy light mooching rod. Paired with a Trophy winter run center pin reel. I run 15 pound main and 10 pound leader.That all combined with a nice wad of roe landed 18 Coho for me this year! It might not be a Sage but It,s a great pin set up for under $300.