Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you participating in April 14th's Chilliwack River Cleanup?

Yes! :)
No. :(

Author Topic: First 2012 Chilliwack River Cleanup, April 14th  (Read 4891 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
First 2012 Chilliwack River Cleanup, April 14th
« on: March 31, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »

Now that the winter steelhead fishery on the Chilliwack River is slowly winding down, it is time to reward it after this excellent season! Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society will be hosting its first 2012 cleanup on Saturday April 14th.

The meeting place will once again be at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve at the end of Sumas Prairie Road. Sign-up starts at 8:30am and volunteers till be assigned a section of the river to pick up garbage. The whole event will finish by Noon so you will have the afternoon to enjoy more steelhead fishing. ;)

Tim Hortons will be supplying coffee, donuts, muffins once again and we'll make sure there'll be juice etc for kids as well. Please bring appropriate clothings (waders, waterproof gear) as the weather can be quite unpredictable during this time of the year. Garbage bags, pick-up tools, latex gloves will be available for you as well. It is a good idea to bring a pair of working/garden gloves for yourself.

This cleanup is really important as we need to get all the garbage off the river bank before freshet begins, which will wash anything into the Fraser and eventually the ocean. This is also a fantastic opportunity for you to meet other anglers who frequently fish the Chilliwack River.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: First 2012 Chilliwack River Cleanup, April 14th
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »

Thanks Rod!
C'mon out folks and support this sadly necessary project.  Fishing could be great but even if it's not you'll feel good for giving back to this amazing river.
Meet Lew Chater, a feature in the latest BC Outdoors magazine - an awesome guy and real class act ;)
And if you don't mind standing in queue, I'm told Gadsden will be signing Maple Leaf memorabilia, whatever that is  ::)

Carich980

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:44:49 PM »

Well I would go, But that's the same day as the M&Y Spey Clave....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:37:17 AM »

There will be two more clean-ups after this one, so many more opportunities to take part. :)

July 14th and September 30th.

wizard

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »

I wish clean ups like this weren't necessary, but as everyone knows they so desperately are. 
the amount of trash around the river is embarrassing.

Thanks to the organisers of all river clean ups, I'll be there!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »

Frankly, I don't know if I want to take part in the Vedder cleanups anymore...
I am very disappointed that the last two cleanups I offered a free ride from Vancouver/Burnaby to Chilliwack and back to up to three more people and nobody took me up on the offer.  >:(

As usual, I'll be there, dammit! But I am offering no free rides to anyone anymore. I am not setting myself up for more disappointments.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

Of course you'll be there Milo, you're a sucker for these cleanups because you're just there to see me and Chris. ;D

See you at the cleanup too Wizard. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »

Frankly, I don't know if I want to take part in the Vedder cleanups anymore...
I am very disappointed that the last two cleanups I offered a free ride from Vancouver/Burnaby to Chilliwack and back to up to three more people and nobody took me up on the offer.  >:(

As usual, I'll be there, dammit! But I am offering no free rides to anyone anymore. I am not setting myself up for more disappointments.

Good man Milo, you will be rewarded with some fish like last year. The river is fishing well these days, I even found 3 today. ;D ;D

norton

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »

That's great there is cleanup on the vedder, but when I go out on the river , I'll take a garbage bag with me and  pick up  garbage , on my way in and back to the car. If we could somehow instill  in more fisherman to do the same , there wouldn't be as much need for a  major cleanup.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »

As luck would have it, we have a bottle drive that day - July 14th we'll be there!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »

Bump! We are just over one week away from the event.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »

Sadly, family commitments forced me to make a choice between the weekend of the Vedder cleanup and the one of the Squamish cleanup.
The Vedder river has plenty of friends through the C/V cleanup coalition, and if only 1% of the people who browse this website daily for information on the Vedder show up, there will be more than enough people on the 14th to carry out the job. Plus, there is always July 14th. ;)

The Squamish, OTOH, needs more friends, as there are no corporate sponsors or anything of that sort. Matt and Gill need all the help they can get.

So my allegiance goes to the Squamish this time, boys, but you know I love you, too.  :-*

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »

More donuts for the rest of us! ;D

Ok people, we are one week away from the first clean-up of the year. :) Time to finish the steelhead season on a good note. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:34 PM »

Bump! There must be more than just half a dozen people who have fished the Vedder for steelhead this winter.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »

Two days left! Still looking for more than just half a dozen steelhead anglers to help out on Saturday...