Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Birdman of Ambleside  (Read 2006 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Birdman of Ambleside
« on: July 23, 2017, 04:00:08 PM »

Sorry, no pics as our hands were busy.  Fishing off the beach this morning.... quite windy and the braid was airborne.  The stellar fisherman I was with casts, the spoon is about to hit the water and BAM!  The spoon takes off into the air!  A cormorant (?) flew by and snagged the braid mid-air!  Dropped it up beach with the line broken off.  Hopefully there isn't a bird flying around West Van sporting a new piercing!

So we're chatting, I told him about a seagull that had thieved a baited line out of our boat a few years ago while we stopped at a dockside pub.... two tiny trebles embedded in it's beak..... but I digress.  Not FIVE MINUTES LATER, I see him cast out of the corner of my eye, and his line whips past my eyes - I looked at him to give him some good natured flak, only to have him staring at a SEAGULL that had tangled in his line mid-air!  The braid had wrapped around it's neck a couple of times and it was choking... lucky for the bird, the hook did not poke an eye out or something, it was hanging loose. 

Long story short, I held the net over the bird, held it's beak closed and lifted it's head so my esteemed college (forever known as the Birdman of Ambleside) could slide his (again, lucky for that bird he had blunt tip haemostat with scissors built in) scissors between the braid and it's neck; clean cut of the braid, no damage to the neck.  The bird took a couple much needed breaths and flew away.... no harm, no FOWL ;)

To be clear, there were no birds in the area we were fishing, he wasn't casting into flocks of seagulls (great, now that song is stuck in my head!).... they were both random chances..... and yes, the seagull was the only thing we brought to the beach between us today :(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:02:09 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

TimL

Re: Birdman of Ambleside
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 06:29:05 PM »

Well, at least the bird is ok, though probably traumatized..lol I had a close call with a mallard a couple of years ago at Ambleside beach..I had already cast my lure and it was about to hit the water and the duck flew into my line, got tangled in the wings, and dropped straight into the water. After a brief struggle it somehow managed to untangle itself and flew away in a hurry..saved me a lot of trouble that day.

Tenz85

Re: Birdman of Ambleside
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:38:32 PM »

Not to jack your thread but I had a similar incident last week or two ago up howe sound. Casted my one true pink buzz bomb and a bird flew right into the middle of my line casted out. I tried real quick to shake it off but no luck.  It continues to fly but the line is still stuck on it and it's headed toward an angler down shore from me. My lure is now dangling mid air while the birds caught in my line and continuing to fly toward the shore line by the other angler. Concerned the lure is going to snag the other angler i start reeling like mad to take out the slack so the lure isnt being dangled around mid air like a weapon. The hook get stuck in the bird and the bird flies past the other angler but the line between the bird and my rod runs into the other angler. He has to lift it over him because he just got clotheslined by the bird. The bird at this point has landed between the other angler and another further angler down the way. Luckily i carry a pocket knife with me that i was able to get out quickly and cut the line. The bird flies off with the hook still in it and my buzz bomb eventually unthreaded off the line and fell into the water. I used a zinger after that and it was pinkish.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:44:16 PM by Tenz85 »