Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Squamish River pink salmon opening information  (Read 5578 times)

sockeyed

Re: 2017 Squamish River pink salmon opening information
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »

Last cycle was 2.

Salt still remains at 4 both this year and last cycle.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:39:12 PM »

Interesting, thanks. That's good. 2 Salmon for meat<Survival of Salmon :D. 4 in the Chuck seems like a lot. I guess they gotta make the trip worth it for the boats lol.

Most people that fish in the chuck release their pinks.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »

Fewer meat fishers this season but more kids on the river lol.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »

Loooool???? From boats, maybe some release them.. from shore.. no. You haven't obviously seen any of our local beach fisheries during pink season. Very little releasing that I've seen haha.

Most boats are not targeting pink salmon when they're out there. Chinook salmon are on the list, pinks usually get flicked off the hook.

Zackattack

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »

Loooool???? From boats, maybe some release them.. from shore.. no. You haven't obviously seen any of our local beach fisheries during pink season. Very little releasing that I've seen haha.

haha

Haha yup!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »

Most boats are not targeting pink salmon when they're out there. Chinook salmon are on the list, pinks usually get flicked off the hook.

As Gary Cooper would say " GET IT OFF MY LINE GET IT OFF!"

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »

Interesting, one per day. Is that normal? I don't mind at all, but I am sure many will, haha.

I kind of like the idea of still having retention for stocks that can handle it but slightly reduced quotas. It would still provide a fish to take home for those that desire, but also may provide more opportunity for more people in times of reduced run numbers and hopefully reduce some of the "meat fisher" mentality.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »

They must think this year's run is worse than last seasons to reduce it to 1. Hopefully they are wrong.  May be too much were harvested at the mouth of Squamish during 2013 and then followed by drought like conditions in 2015.  Seems the snow pack is too high for it to happen this year.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:30:30 PM by fic »

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »

The big concern is from the amount of large gravel moving floods that occurred when this brood year was incubating in the river gravel. There were 5 large events and 4 other smaller events that winter. The spring migration of fry that is monitored on  the Cheakamus via the BC Hydro Water Use Plan showed only around 25 - 30 % of the normal fry migration which is an area of concern. It will all depend on what type of survival those fry experienced in the ocean.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 10:38:04 PM »

The big concern is from the amount of large gravel moving floods that occurred when this brood year was incubating in the river gravel. There were 5 large events and 4 other smaller events that winter. The spring migration of fry that is monitored on  the Cheakamus via the BC Hydro Water Use Plan showed only around 25 - 30 % of the normal fry migration which is an area of concern. It will all depend on what type of survival those fry experienced in the ocean.
That is the same thing that decimated the pink runs on the Skagit river for this season down in WA.  Out-migration was terrible for both pinks and coho.  Now for the first time in memory, the Skagit fall salmon fishery is completely closed this year.  Hopefully these systems can bounce back relatively quickly.  That's the bad thing about pinks - they are all of the same brood year, so there is no hedging against bad ocean or river conditions - it is all or nothing.