Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anything to Fish for in the Squamish presently?  (Read 7230 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Anything to Fish for in the Squamish presently?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 06:51:35 PM »

What do you use if they can't even smell a hook cause of the bait ban?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »

The next bridge after the Ashlu turn off is the Elaho bridge at about 28 km.  The Elaho is the larger river that flows from the west of the Squamish and yes you travel directly west to follow this river rather than traveling up the west side of the Squamish.  You can only go about 42 km on the Elaho spur before you get stopped by a wash out, if you don't have a lifted 4x4.  The canyons up there are spectacular and the fishing is more difficult to access.  There are no salmon or anadromous fish up there, but I'm sure there are plenty of residents.

As Ralph mentions you will have no trouble catching fish in poor visibility water but be prepared to accidentally floss and snag quite a few fish, particularly if you need to use a sinking line to get the fly down in front of the fish.  In shallower water a floating line will help.  I tend to change up to short floating a chartreuse or chartreuse/black jig.  Without the swing there are a lot less snags/foul hooks and chartreuse seems to be more visible than pink. 

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 10:36:13 PM »

Sounds like another adventure. I do have a 4x4 with lift but I'm not sure how far I want to test my luck with it...

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »

I definitely camped past the Elaho Bridge. After some google earthing I know exactly where you mean Knnn, it's good to put names to places, as I was all over the place looking for it on the backroads map.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 06:07:21 AM »

As Ralph mentions you will have no trouble catching fish in poor visibility water but be prepared to accidentally floss and snag quite a few fish, particularly if you need to use a sinking line to get the fly down in front of the fish.  In shallower water a floating line will help.  I tend to change up to short floating a chartreuse or chartreuse/black jig.  Without the swing there are a lot less snags/foul hooks and chartreuse seems to be more visible than pink.

I used flies, either quartered downstream and swung or cast down at a 45 to 60degree angle and retrieved. Never used more than an intermediate tip. Very few fish were flossed or snagged. While I didn't use them I'd suggest circle hooks would help avoid any issues with foul hooking.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:13:45 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »

Thanks!