Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass Behaviour  (Read 1583 times)

Dylb

Bass Behaviour
« on: July 08, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »

Decided to try a small local pond for bass first thing this morning, a spot I usually have a lot of luck at. Threw basically every shape and size of bait/lure in there around the entire pond and got skunked. It happens. Weird thing was watching the fish - everything I threw at them would entice them enough to have them follow it to within a foot of the shoreline (6''-14''+ in size bass), but they wouldn't take it. Literally would just sit there and nibble on the edge of it or just stare at it.

Can anyone offer any insight to this behaviour?

I understand their spawn is finished by now, which usually makes them less aggressive, but in my experience a less aggressive bass is usually still a pretty aggressive bass, at the very least catchable. I've never experienced them this lethargic except for in the colder months.

To add insult to injury, a buddy of mine was there no more than a week ago using the same tackle, and caught a few nice size fish.

Is this a "wrong day, wrong time" kind of fluke situation? Or would oxygen levels deplete in a small system that fast (it is a closed system)? Or what else could be going on...

Thanks in advance for any info!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Bass Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 05:43:36 AM »

I don't have any answers for you but I stopped by Albert Dyck Park a few weeks ago and experienced the same thing. Saw lots of little bass following my bait in but no bites. Never been skunked there before in the warm weather :S

The water level was extremely high, not sure if that's related... doubt it.

Dogbreath

Re: Bass Behaviour
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »

Post spawn is toughest of all-going small & dark sometimes works for me.