Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KAYAK FISHING  (Read 9871 times)

u_gada_no

• Shoulda seen the one that got away.
KAYAK FISHING
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:12:19 PM »

Just wondering if there are any kayak fishers here. I just bought myself a new fishing kayak and wondered if there are many others who use kayaks to fish.

rheticus

Re: KAYAK FISHING
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »

I've got an Advanced Elements Straitedge Angler (inflatable). It's good for storage, a little heavy if you need to schlep it any distance, but reasonably maneuverable on the water, particularly on lakes. On the ocean, it's a bit sluggish if the tide is ripping, and metal elements like zippers tend to corrode heavily with exposure to the salt. Also, you sit rather low to the water for fly-fishing purposes. This leaves me dreaming of a hard-body with a wheel system that makes getting the kayak to the water somewhat easier, and also lets you sit higher up to avoid a wet rear end. Still, a kayak lets you move around to where the fish are, and if you hook a decent size one, you might even go for a "sleigh ride"!

jwilliamson

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »

I just bought the Jackson Coosa and so far love it. Honestly I have only fished with it twice and it was more about getting comfortable as a fishing platform then anything. But I've had it out a ton just paddling.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »

- I have a Freedom Hawk kayak.
- With built in expandable outriggers no problem with stability or using an electric motor.
- With wings off reduces lenght for transport and ease of loading.

slava

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:22:22 PM »

Like Rheticus I've got an Advanced Elements Straitedge Angler.It's a little bit slow but very stable on the water.

chomperman

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:23:10 AM »

- I have a Freedom Hawk kayak.
- With built in expandable outriggers no problem with stability or using an electric motor.
- With wings off reduces lenght for transport and ease of loading.

That is a fantastic looking Kayak!  Where did you get and for how much if you don't mind me asking?

Voyager

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:39:10 AM »

I've got a 2015 Hobie Revolution11, love the Mirage drive and the new seat is very comfortable and dry, have it set up with Hummingbird 153 Fish finder and Scottys track system so I can move things around

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »

Bought a 12.5' Jackson Cuda last year. Have already used it 7-8 times, and half of those were fishing days. Have caught steelhead and rainbow trout from it so far, looking to add salmon to the list pretty shortly.

Its a blast to paddle around in. Not as easy to fish out of as my pontoon boat, but much faster on the water.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »

That is a fantastic looking Kayak!  Where did you get and for how much if you don't mind me asking?

--I bought it direct from Freedomhawk... they were manufactured for Freedomhawk by jackson kyaks.
--I think Cabelas USA had them but there should be a list of dealers on the feedomhawk site.

--I got mine when our dollar was above par. I imported three different ones as samples to demo and wholesale to fishing stores but none in BC would purchase any, suggested retail was $ 1600 for the deluxe model shown... so would not likely go over well with the current dollar.
--I liked the boats so kept the demo boats for myself.

--I use both the stand up paddle and kayak paddle...when fishing. The picture was spin casting on Gallagher lk for bass... great platform for fly casting as well. 

rezak

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »

I'm just follow thread.  I've been looking into a two person kayak (inflatable) to fish from.

JustPuttsin

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 06:40:34 AM »

I bought a Hobie Outback Mirage Drive this spring and had it out on the vedder from barrowtown once so far. Very stable and a lot of fun. Hoping for rain and cooler temps so the water cools off.  :)

u_gada_no

• Shoulda seen the one that got away.
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »

I just picked up my new Old Town Predator XL. This is their new fishing Kayak that has a Minn Kota motor console. I've only had it out once so far just to test it out. Got a battery for it today and plan on taking it out to test the motor in the next few days. But so far it's an awesome kayak and carries very nicely on my Jeep TJ.

rheticus

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »

I hope that once you've given it a whirl with the Minn Kota you'll offer a full report. Thanks.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »

I'm just follow thread.  I've been looking into a two person kayak (inflatable) to fish from.

Saw this the other day - not sure how good it is but reviews are decent:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hydro-force-kayak-0798540p.html#.VZnOe7XjJmM

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 12:28:20 PM »

Saw this the other day - not sure how good it is but reviews are decent:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hydro-force-kayak-0798540p.html#.VZnOe7XjJmM

Friend bought that Kayak on sale last year I think for 1/2 price.  Decent kayak except water would wick into the bottom of the boat and he ended up with a wet butt and returned it.  BUT I believe it may have been due to not inflating it enough.  Also think the regular price is to much.