Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice from the pro's  (Read 7409 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Advice from the pro's
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 03:50:46 PM »

I agree that the Convergence is overrated. It's popular because of the price.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 04:24:34 PM »

I started off 4 years ago using a quantum Iron drift rod (~$100) and a "Bantex" level-wind (~$90), and Ande 20 lb test line. Performed fine for a REAL starter, but you start to notice some of the problems after the first season, and after trying out a buddy of mine's gear, I realized that an upgrade was in order.

Look around and try different rods and find something that YOU like. It's all great and wonderful that everyone loves the convergence, but it may not be good for you. The same goes for the reel.

I've been using the C4 for a few years now, and don't have any complaints, I'm saying this based on thew technical specifics of the reel, high gear ratio, strong gears, I prefer the feel of "paddle grips" instead of the cylendrical ones, plus the blue colour just looks cool, and all of fishing is about looking cool, that's why they invented waders...  :-X 8)

Go out and try a few reels out, or like someone else reccomended, try 2nd-hand stores, and thrift stores, you'll pick up all sorts of wierd and wonderful bits of gear in those places. I've picked up a $160 reel, and a rod worth $100 for $60. It was a Penn GTi 320, and a shakespeare Ugly Stik, been using the reel for halibut for a few years now, and love it. And if the reel doesn't perform like you hoped it would, it's just as easy to sell it back.

Get the hang of a level-wind before going onto the river, cast in a park or something, so you can get the feel of it. There's nothing worse than a big nasty birds-nest of backlash when the bite is on.  ::)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

johnny

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »

What about the Vedder?
Am I the only person here who thinks that shimano convergences are way OVERATED!?!?!
If you are strictly talking about rod for the money then you might be... There are WAY better rods out there BUT for more money, I just think it's a great one for either a backup or for a cheaper rod. Can't compare apples to oranges. How can you "over rate" a $90-100 rod?  :D
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 04:46:09 PM »

What about the Vedder?
Am I the only person here who thinks that shimano convergences are way OVERATED!?!?!
If you are strictly talking about rod for the money then you might be... There are WAY better rods out there BUT for more money, I just think it's a great one for either a backup or for a cheaper rod. Can't compare apples to oranges. How can you "over rate" a $90-100 rod?  :D

I say this because my $80 Berkly kicks the living my smelly socks out of my $100 Convergence. And trust me I have logged my hours on both. Owned the Berkly for 6 years and the Convergence for 3 years so I think I do know a thing about my apples and oranges.

BTW I agree with your comments on the c3. Although I reccomend this reel I don't actually care for it too much. I find that it's performance decreses rapidly and needs alot of servicing under heavy use, however, for the price and for a begginer who won't necessarily be fishing as much as I do, it fits the bill perfectly. Now if only they would start making a shimano calcutta 401.
Actions speak louder than words.