Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rockfish conservation areas implemented  (Read 3542 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Rockfish conservation areas implemented
« on: June 08, 2005, 11:43:41 AM »

Rockfish conservation areas implemented

Why is it that all types of sportfishing for groundfish is restricted, while mid-water trawl for groundfish is allowed in these restricted areas?

Other news...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Rockfish conservation areas implemented
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 11:47:59 AM »

Simple answer: one rule for the commercial guys and one for the sportsmen. It's not an issue of conservation as money.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 12:57:56 PM »

Why is it that all types of sportfishing for groundfish is restricted, while mid-water trawl for groundfish is allowed in these restricted areas?
First off Rod no-one Sportfishes midwater for Groundfish-not in this province-that's a non starter.
Targeted trawling can take mid water Groundfish-they literally fly the trawls at a certain depth.
It's the benthic dwelling species that are of concern.

I personally would like to see all of the Inside closed to Groundfish harvesting from Race Rocks around the bottom of the Island right up to Malcolm Island.
The patchwork closures around the Gulf Island are in my mind pathetic-with growing human populations constantly hammering the few fish left the closures are announced are too little too late.

Close Bowyer and Paisley Islands?
There hasn't been Groundfish there since Sewells old party boat the Tarquin killed every last thing they could find back in the 80's.

Some of the mid coast/northern locales-the McMullin Group for instance-are crawling with Groundfish and so should be protected now.
McMullin was closed last year when I was there in fact-just north of there @ Rempstone there were so many fish it was amazing.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 03:13:33 PM »

I personally would like to see all of the Inside closed to Groundfish harvesting from Race Rocks around the bottom of the Island right up to Malcolm Island.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Do you mean you want to close this to all fishing?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 05:20:55 PM »

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Do you mean you want to close this to all fishing?
I mean what I wrote.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 07:12:08 PM »

You understand that Rockfish Areas are closed to all fishing.
DFO closes it to all fishing as you might catch them if you are fishing salmon.
The areas closed will probably be for your lifetime.
There will be more coming this year, as they want 50% of the rockfish areas closed in the straight.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 09:05:19 PM »

You understand that Rockfish Areas are closed to all fishing.
That's the idea-Yes I understand.

DFO closes it to all fishing as you might catch them if you are fishing salmon.
Sounds like a great idea and the only way to go IMO.

The areas closed will probably be for your lifetime.
I don't have all that long to go really.Younger people 'might' be able to fish them with their Grandkids but if they don't that's fine-fishing isn't everything.

There will be more coming this year, as they want 50% of the rockfish areas closed in the straight.
Thanks for the Good News!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 11:54:24 PM »

Thanks guys for the answers etc.

Here's DFO's reply:

The RCA's are a fish management tool, not a park or marine protected area.  This is the reason that some types of fishing gear or extraction activities are allowed.  If the gear or activity is specific, that is, can avoid rockfish then it is permitted within an RCA.  All gear permitted was reviewed from data that we have showing whether or not there is significant bycatch associated with the gear.  Mid-water trawl has a minimal bycatch of rockfish and therefore is permitted within an RCA.