Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat Mishap On The Vedder  (Read 9982 times)

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
Re: Boat Mishap On The Vedder
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 03:06:24 PM »

Thanks Chris. I guess for me to wrap my head around this idea i would have to see more boating activity during the fishing season. Those types of impacts you refer to are not even an issue during June when water levels are always at thier highest. Very few people run thier jet boats on the Vedder, even in June and even if they did, idon't think it's an issue. If jet boaters were tearing up the river in low water or during fishing season, than maybe. But the fact is they are not and why spoil the fun for everyone because of a few.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 03:36:48 PM »

Good posts from all and I am not trying to get the last word here and I am not picking on jet boats. I would like one also but it would be hard to part with the blue and white Leaf Craft. ;D

I just really donot think it is necessary to power boat on the Vedder for just the reason to go for a boat ride as you do not need a power boat to access fishing spots. There is so many other spots we are so fortunate here in BC to take boat rides if that is what one likes to do, areas a lot safer and more scenic.

Maybe I am wrong in my thoughts but one has to stand by them in what one believes as do those with different thoughts ones that I always try to respect. That is what my dad and many others dads, mothers, grandparents fought for, the democratic process.

Now not to hyjack this thread as I am running late for my fishing trip as a spring waits for me this afternoon or tomorrow. I am late as I took my row boat, no not the Leaf Craft ;D ;D to bring to shore a rubber boat lodged in a log jam just above the Freeway Bridge. If anyone lost one recently let me know.

I also got two Drennans from the log jam but they are finders keepers.

Keep the thoughts coming while I am on my fishing adventure but be kind to me. ;D

Remember to check the story on the web of the Chilliwack Progress about the incident, it will be posted by tomorrow I am sure. I see my paper just came so will read it now but will not comment further for now, time to give others a chance to dive into the subject.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 05:33:41 AM by chris gadsden »

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 09:41:16 PM »

There is a place for everything, and the Vedder is not the place for powered craft.

Sure, a lots goes on at the Vedder that probably shouldnt, but this topic is on boats in the river. Not the poor guy who drowns while fishing or someone who drives his car into a corner store or even the clowns dedicated to dumping their garbage there.

A smaller river like the Vedder should not have to sustain the activities of boats, should they be going slow or not. The river is closed during June for a reason, to limit impacts on the river. Boats are no different. Ive seen boats up the river, especially sea-doos, all through the summer and into the early fall. Erosion and noise pollution would be high on my list why not to allow boats on the Vedder. Why should their 'fun' ruin my fun when trying for a quiet walk along the river? There is a reason I dont go to Cultus or the Fraser for a 'quiet' walk. There are more impacts from boating the Vedder then what can just be felt when fishing it too, so I consider comments on this topic confined to angling values only narrow. I like to think anglers should consider more then just fishing; especially when the health of the river as a whole is necessary for fishing!

RA40 seems to know a great deal about boats on the Vedder that he can tell us they only go there in June. Not to mention that a well justified question on CG's part simply needs a chill pill and a 24 day wait for the passing of an apparent boredom problem...   ;)
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 12:07:40 AM »

If you need my letter or a signature for a petition, you got it for this one Chris. I think it is a common sense that no motor boats should be allowed on Vedder. I fish it regularly enough to know you can not navigate it safely with any motor boat, specially not with so many people around doing various things. It is a tragedy waiting to hapen for sure.
I do believe that every river should be analyzed separately, but Vedder is just too small for so many people, and motor boats. Why somebody should have more rights than somebody else? - it is not about rights, it is about safety, otherwise you should be allowed to ride on top of your car, or ride a horse on a freeway, or ...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 12:40:53 AM »

Well said Hiker

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 07:20:30 AM »

I didn't realize that boats on the Vedder were such a big problem and common occurance. I have only seen half a dozen in the last 10 years so i base my comments on my observations. The river/dyke belongs to everyone, learn how to share it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 05:31:06 AM »

http://www.theprogress.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=39&cat=23&id=438519&more=
This is the link.

Dan
Thanks very much for posting the link for others to read.

I found the part and I quote it, He says there are very few jetboats navigating the gravel bars in that part of the river. Those that do are sometimes responsible for creating large wakes that swamp fisherman, according to anglers.

unquote
I also worry one day some careless boater will come roaring around a corner and there will be a fisherman wading the river, someone floating down the river in a inner tube, someone swimming, or a canoeist etc..

I know you can not pervent all accidents as they will be happening this morning on the commute and everyday on our roads. A lot of them are caused by people in a rush, do we have to have the same on the Vedder River, power boats rushing up a narrow river. There numbers may be low now but they will grow I feel in the future as the Valley continues to grow as well. To me the river should be a peaceful, serene and relaxing place to be, be it fishing, walking along the Rotary trail or just sitting on a rock at the waters edge soaking up nature and what it has to offer. Just to be away from the mad rush that society seems to be in now a days.  We need those passive and quiet area's I believe to relive us of the stresses of our world, I know I do.

My humble opinion anyway.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 06:53:36 AM »

Dan
We need those passive and quiet area's I believe to relive us of the stresses of our world, I know I do.

absolutely and power boats/jet boats in a beautiful and unique river like the cheddar is ridiculous. i mean our roads are infested with unecessairly huge truck (on the most part)....time to take back and conserve.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 11:53:18 AM »

I agree with Chris. Current boating usage is low on Vedder but out of that few we are seeing accidents happening the chance of accident is way higher than daily commute. Number of accidents should not be the focus but chance of accident happening.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 04:12:41 PM »

This one's a fence sitter, all though I own a jet boat I just can't see the point of running it up past the Keith Wilson Bridge. Having said that, Vic has valid points, are all jet boat operators being painted with the same "bad boy" brush?

Think I'll keep sitting on the fence ::)

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 04:17:26 PM »

Chris summed it up pretty well,there are away too many reasons for powered craft to be banned from the Vedder/Chilliwack river,safety being the major reason IMHO.I had a close call several years ago on Vancouver Island where a wake pushed me off of my feet,fortunately the reflex wave from the bank behind me sort of stood me back up again.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 04:43:48 PM »

This one's a fence sitter, all though I own a jet boat I just can't see the point of running it up past the Keith Wilson Bridge. Having said that, Vic has valid points, are all jet boat operators being painted with the same "bad boy" brush?

Think I'll keep sitting on the fence ::)
I still like your "Randog" float. ;D ;D ;D

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 04:56:39 PM »

Randog, was that Vic's only valid point?

I really cant see any oposition to keeping powered craft below the highway bridge. This isnt a case of 'are you a good boat operator or not'; it is a case of is it sensible, from a boat operators, environmental and safety standpoints, to run a boat up the Vedder.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?