Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat Mishap On The Vedder  (Read 9984 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Boat Mishap On The Vedder
« on: June 06, 2005, 11:48:52 PM »

Dragon Speed asked about a boat incident on the Vedder yesterday.

From what I gather a boat was coming downstream near Lickman Road. Apparently it could not make a turn and ran up on a gravel bar. I was told there was injuries as someone went through the windshield.

The full story along with pictures will be in the Chilliwack Progress tomorrow. Anyone interested can check it out on the web.

This is not the first incident so a few of us maybe looking into getting jet boats banned above the freeway bridge.

Comments from others re this proposal will be welcome.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Boat Mishap On The Vedder
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 12:05:39 AM »

Thanks Chris.  I was afraid it was another person wandering too close to a swollen river.  But alas, just some idiot that tried to squeeze a boat that probably shouldn't have been there, up and back down the river :(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 12:14:56 AM »

I didn't realize that boats were allowed on the Vedder. Personally I think water crafts should be banned from the Vedder.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 12:52:05 AM »

I didn't realize that boats were allowed on the Vedder. Personally I think water crafts should be banned from the Vedder.
Presently there is no regulation that I know of. I have the government agency to contact. It is the Navigable Waters Protection Officier. Will talk to them and the news article will help bring it to everyones attention. Will also talk to our local MLA's when time permits.

Another incident a year or so back a boat went speeding by some anglers and the wash nearly knocked them over into the river. >:( :( :o No very smart boaters and then those blasted sea doos have been observed in the river as well. ::)

Nostro

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 07:54:38 AM »

It's time to start up a petition. The regulators don't seem to grasp the obvious. Motorized crafts have absolutely no reason to be on the Vedder. I shudder to think what would happen in the summer when there are dozens of people tubing down the river. Permitting motorized watercrafts is a tragic accident waiting to happen. I am very surprised that the regulations allow boats.
I am sorry for the 2 idiots in this incident. But, idiots take note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never look a fish in the eye.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 08:09:12 AM »

Lets not be silly, just because someone crashed thier boat , doesn't mean that we need to ban boats on the river. The only time boaters use the Vedder is in June when the river is closed to fishing. Rivers and other local waters don't just belong to anglers, they belong to all British Columbia residents.Do we ban cars because someone crashed and got hurt? do we ban motorcycles, quads, Jet Skiies? Maybe we should ban fishing on the Vedder, there is at least one or more deaths a year from anglers falling into the water.

If boaters were ripping up and down the river during fishing season, you may have a point. But they don't so maybe you should just take a chill pill and find another fish to fry. Don't worry, your bordom will be done soon, river re-opens in 24 days.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 08:53:30 AM »

Maybe we should ban fishing on the Vedder, there is at least one or more deaths a year from anglers falling into the water.
LOL!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 09:48:33 AM »

The only time boaters use the Vedder is in June when the river is closed to fishing.

Really ? Awfully considerate of the boaters. :P

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 10:03:51 AM »

I think this is a great idea, just remove the word jet and replace it with power then we cover all areas. This will keep all power boats below the freeway crossing.

This is not the first incident so a few of us maybe looking into getting jet boats banned above the freeway bridge.

Comments from others re this proposal will be welcome.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 10:18:33 AM »

This sounds fishy....a boat that couldnt make a turn?  Maybe more like a driver going too fast, inexperience, maybe some liquid courage (booze).

What was he doing anyhow, just joy riding, boating the river? Do you think he was actually trying to jump the bar?

RA40 is right in what he says - banning certain activities is no solution for irresponsible operators!  

But I have to agree with the guys who think jet boats don't belong on the vedder.  This is the same debate as the Pitt.  A small (relatively shallow) river is going to get chewed up by those boats.  Crossing down makes sense to me.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 10:37:45 AM »

Welcome aboard RA40 it is good to have you on board with your first post.

I can appreciate your concerns about the banning of power boats on the Vedder but I ask the question what purpose does it serves to have a power boat going up and down a river so shallow, full of gravel bars, so accessable to get to most spots by foot, the  canoes, river rafters and other craft that these boats could run into. In all respect I have seen them during the fishing season several times and I mentioned one incident at the start of this thread

What about the damage the wash from these boats cause to the habitat and spawning area's, maybe no worse than the gravel excavations that are allowed ,I donot really know this fact.

I really do not think it is necessary to be on the Chilliwack/Vedder River when there is so many places to take a power boat such as the Fraser.

Only one person's opinion and will await more input of others on this subject.That is what a fishing forum is for and makes it such a interesting tool for information and input.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 10:46:44 AM by chris gadsden »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 11:58:20 AM »

I believe rivers/streams should all be like roads. Speed limit, size limit. Like allies 10km maybe vedder should be 3kn? and limit to 17' max, and maybe time restricted to daytime only.  just a though  ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 01:36:58 PM »

I agree and see no reason to allow power boats above the Freeway crossing.

Adacas

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 02:13:52 PM »

Chris. Your timing is impeccable! Exact same time as last year's anti-jetboat campaign, minus a day, but then it was a leap year wasn't it.  http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3414.0;topicseen

I don't see any strength in the arguement that there should be a jetboat ban on the Vedder other than a few people don't like them. RA40 makes a very good point that they might then ban fishing because a few unfortunate souls have lost there lives on this river also, while fishing.

I have visited the Vedder for some 25 years now, and I have seen the changes between then and now. I can pretty much agree with anyone who makes the statement that the most damage being done to the Vedder River is done by visitors other than jetboats. Shore visitors who trample redds, improper disposal of garbage (putting it lightly), disrespect for riparian zone etc.

I will mention however that the garbage collection and restoration of habitat efforts by anglers on this system is most commendable, much of it being promoted and carried out by you and others on this board. I will also mention that I think you are one of the most respected and effective stewards of this resource that we all enjoy. Thanks to you.

But I sense a little bias when it comes to jetboats on the Vedder, by those who feel they don't belong, simply because they either don't own one or don't like them for whatever reasons. BTW I own a jetboat but have never flown the Vedder. Too risky for me, and when it comes to boating I don't take risks. For those who do, good luck.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 02:27:01 PM by Adacas »

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 02:45:06 PM »

I hope the boat is wrecked.  Any idiot that takes a boat that far up the Vedder deserves the nasty bill to fix the damage.  Moron.  >:(