Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitt Meadows, May 19th 2012  (Read 2119 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Pitt Meadows, May 19th 2012
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »

Tried around the lower Pitt for sturgeon.  Had 30 bites all day on oolies.  Landed 1.  Went up to the Allouette to look for the mystery bass that supposedly exist.  Had a few follows of some cutties, but no takers.  Got attacked by a 75lb swan.  Headed into Pitt lake, found a nice beach, had a BBQ, back to the Fraser around Barnstrom for sturgeon, but nothing.  Wicked day. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

cohoaaron

Re: Pitt Meadows, May 19th 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »

Cool report, Sounds like a fun day. how big was the one you landed?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:33:27 PM by cohoaaron »

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »

4 feet.  Apparently all of the bites were chubs.  Well most of them were chubs, anyway.  We had a couple of sizeable sturgeon on for 5 seconds or so.  I don't even care.  Sometimes I drift fish for salmon all day without a bite then I touch bottom and become snagged, sometimes getting snagged is just as exciting as getting a strike! 
Just watching the rod tip move gets my heart beating quick.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »

Driller just having a little fun with the chubs ;D I'm sure we all did it at first, in time you wont even move for them.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:56 PM »

Rantalot, at first I was pretty high on caffeine first thing and yeah we were hitting the rod pretty hard when it would move, then we got a sturgeon.  Not even after 30 minutes.  The taps continued, and like I said we had a couple on for 5 seconds or so, then they got off.  Some of the rod taps were light, but some were pretty good.  We started experimenting with hook sets.  I'd let it sit in the holder for a few extra seconds, or carefully remove it from the holder and wait for some weight and a pull.  IT was pretty fun, I don't know what was going on at the end of the line, but it was good practice.  There were at least a dozen times when we were patiently waiting for that second or third good pull on the rod, and when it finally came we'd pull back and nothing.  That's the way fishing goes sometimes. 

I'm glad I got out as much as I did this spring.  PRobably have 15 days on the river.  Been working a lot lately, and just finished a still water trip so I haven't sturgeon fished for a few weeks.  I'm wondering what it will be like the next time I go since now the oolies are probably finished their run.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »

I would still use them but before you head spend a bit on a dock and catch a few peamouth chubs:)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »

I need to get a Pea Mouth Chub rod.  I was thinking 2 foot rod with spinning reel and 20 lb test.  I could use all the same terminal tackle as with the sturgeon, then just put some 2lb mono for the leader.  That would look good.  Couple of chub rods out the back of the boat.     :D

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »

But use real tiny hooks,

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »

I had a spot that when i fished ditch eels the Pikeminnows would drive you nuts.
That is until the Sturgeon moved in. ;D

cohoaaron

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »

I had a spot that when i fished ditch eels the Pikeminnows would drive you nuts.
That is until the Sturgeon moved in. ;D
oh man!!!! Where can you fish ditch eels!!? That would be so cool to catch one!