Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 15 hours On the Vedder And Fraser July 10  (Read 4974 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
15 hours On the Vedder And Fraser July 10
« on: July 10, 2004, 11:50:44 PM »

My day started at 6am as toured the lower part of the Vedder so could give Lew a update on how the garbage looked for The Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition Summer cleanup today.

While checking out the situation around KWB saw a TOW er lose what looked like a spring. The river is now dropping so the people were able to wade out to the bar that is starting to show now.

Arrived at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve at 8:30 to get the coffee and refresments ready for the cleanup volunteers. Also brought a video along to show the mess they cleanup crews were going to be facing at the Boulder Hole. The Good Doctor, Dynamite Kid, Gumboots and Mrs Gumboots volunteered to tackle a big job there. Thanks guys and gal.

Included on the video some of the highlights of the trip with Rodney, Nina, and Zazia. What a great trip it was and to relive it again through the video is entertaining to say the least.

It was great to see the above mentioned forum members and a number of the younger guys that included Rosco P COHOtrane, d_w, Alex 015 (also his dad and I believe his brother), THe trOutSLayer, Steeler 2000, Rodney, Nina, Zazia, Lew, Ben and Don.If I missed any please add below and what you thought how the cleanup went and is their is anything you could suggest could make it better.

Lew reported 80 people attended which was a good turnout but we could have used more as we did not get to some sections.

Once again thanks to all that came out and gave up part of their Saturday to fill 3 dumpster and more. We also got a record number of tins and bottles that Lew and I will take in today, I would guess close to $50 that will pay for the refreshments.  ;DWe also have to go to some of the areas to pick up some bags in Lew's that the the volunteers could not bring back.

I believe Lew will post some pictures of the day's events later.

After the cleanup at 1:30 joined Rodney, Lew and the girls for lunch and then picked up the Leaft Craft from home for an afternoon fishing trip to MLB with George and 2 of his children Jessie and Stefanie. George and some of his family had also attended the cleanup on behalf of the Fraser Valley Salmon Society that have a section on the lower Vedder.

Was suppose to be at Island 22 at 3 but I kept the invited guests waiting 20 minutes as spent to long a lunch. ::) How the time flies when you are having fun.

Saw a TOW er bringing in a good sized spring to the boat launch from his boat as we all put on our life jackets for the 7 minute run to MLB.

On our arrival we discovered an anchored boat in front of the "Hot Spot". I went above them and George settled in with a rod for himself and one for the children to share if the occasion occured. Was feeling a bit of pressure to find a fish once again. Last 3 trips 7 fish hooked and 4 landed ,so the Leaf emblem keeps putting the chinooks rolling into our cooler.  ;D ;D ;D
After about 3 hours into the trip the rain clouds threaten along with a wind from the West to try to dampen the 4 unprepared  fishers.

We are able to get the tarp in near record time up before the brief showers hit the area.

We remain dry and emerge after the short rain storm from our chairs under the tarp tarp that has kept me and a lot of others dry over the last several fishing seasons. Good tip to keep on your boat at all times very simple to put up, Maybe George will describe the process and items needed to put it up. I have even slept under it when too lazy to put up a tent. ::)

I earlier had gone for a short walk and found a 20 ounce weight laying along the waters edge. ;D Treasure hunting another activity for the bar fishers.

George's children are enjoying the trip and wander about the bar for some time looking for who knows what, just enjoying nature at its finest I presume. Every so often they would come back to us bubbling with excitement with some new found treasure.

We munch on our supper as we wait for that magic moment that never came over the 5 hour trip as we left the bar at 9:15 with the streak finally broken. But hey it was a great time for us all and seeing the kids discovering bar fishing most likely for the first time that was enought of a reward for me. It was not our fault we did not get a fish as it was the springs fault for not wanting to taste the #0 good Doctor. Things will change over the coming week i am sure as hopefull 3 trips planned, one with the good Doctor, have to collect on the breakfast he owes me for that first spring of the season but it is after a dentist appointment so he may get off lightly. ;D

As I did not provide a fish for the guests I had to buy the treats at McDonalds for the 4 of us on the way home, the end of a very enjoyable trip that concluded my 15 hours on or working for our rivers.

When you get an opportunity like I did today take a child fishing, our future in preserving this great sport will depend on their stewardship in the not too distant future.

Hope you enjoyed the trip George, Jessie and Stefanie, I certainly did. ;D

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 06:41:38 AM by chris gadsden »

otto

Re:15 hours On the Vedder And Fraser July 10
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 11:54:40 PM »

excellentr report!!! but whats a "TOW" or "TOW'er"   ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 11:56:20 PM »

excellentr report!!! but whats a "TOW" or "TOW'er"   ???
Fishing "The Other Way"  BB ing. ???

_Ivan_

• Fish for life. <*)))))>(
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 12:12:52 AM »

great report. ;D ;D
"Damn coho they're hard to catch." <*)))))>(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 12:25:45 AM »

You enjoy taking people fishing rather than catching them right Chris ?  ;D Funny how it's always the fish's fault when the fisherman gets skunked !!  ;D ;D  Taking kids fishing is always special. Good for you !

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 08:42:03 AM »

Forgot to mention that at the cleanup yesterday that while I am catching up on my sleep while barfishing that I should tie a line from the rod to my toe so I do not miss a fish.

Good idea but then Fish Assassin would accuse me of TOW ing. ::) ??? ;D ;D ;D

Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 09:24:31 AM »

Nice report again Chris  :)

We certainly had a lot of fun, and it was a good experience for the kids as well as for myself.
Hardly a dull moment as we had to scramble to put up the tarp for a stormy rain shower!
What a slick system Chris has figured out for this!
He just lays down a tarp and piles rocks on one edge, then places two 6 or 7 foot poles at the opposite corners, pounds down a few rod holders and ties the tops of the poles to them, tying the corners of the tarp to the poles at the same time.
Very easy and it certainly kept us dry last night  :D

Chris even managed to get a good nap in, eventhough he forgot to bring his foam pad.
I guess the bottom of the boat works just as well, seeing as Chris thought he only spent about 15 minutes napping which was in fact closer to an hour  ;)

Comfy Chris?
 ;D ;D

Even though we didn't manage to entice a fish to take our offering, the experience was well worth our time.
Just to be able to relax and enjoy nature at it's best is good enough for me!

Thanks a lot for the trip Chris, next time it will be our turn to buy the 'skunked sundaes'  ;D ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 09:29:18 AM »

Sneaky guy with that last photo, can't even roll over in that confined area, but I was close to the rod. ;D ;D ;D

otto

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 02:43:03 PM »

maybe he's dead.....OH MY GOD - YOU KILLED CHRIS!!!!!  ( ala South Parks kenny) D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 04:08:08 PM »

I don't know what to make of it? Are you napping, drunk or sounding for fish????? I

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 04:10:47 PM »

I don't know what to make of it? Are you napping, drunk or sounding for fish?????

;D ;D ;D I'm sure I left my bouncing betty down here !

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 04:53:42 PM »

i think hes got his ear to the ground or keel as the case maybe
listening for the oncoming rush of a spring bound train
nice technique must try that on my next outing  ;)
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

FishKid

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 05:03:05 PM »

Excellent report! ;D

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004, 10:14:29 PM »

he definaly (sp)  sounding for fish!!! great report ;D

Buckeye

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 06:28:14 AM »

;D ;D ROFLMAO!!  ;D ;D

No Max, he wasn't snoring. Which was too bad because it took me nearly 10 minutes to sneak up on him  ;D
Too many early mornings for Chris i guess, retirement has made him a busy man. But at least he's enjoying the finer things in life, sleeping in seems such a waste of time.