Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4th of July on the Vedder  (Read 3164 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
4th of July on the Vedder
« on: July 04, 2007, 07:09:27 PM »

Had the day off to celebrate our B-day so instead of sitting and watching another small town parade and stumble around downtown in the heat, I thought I'd hit the Vedder with Hop sing....
Of course we HAD to start early AND leave early because of that bad old traffic...probably good we did leave as I got toasted and it was no fun just practicing my casting anymore...

In a nut shell, there are NO fish in that river...Don't care who's friend says they saw fish rolling where ever...We hit top, semi top and bottom and never saw a fish so much as fart while we were there...We hit some really decent water where you'd expect to at least see something but as stated NODA....

If your wondering about water clarity and height, not bad at all up top,,, and so so down below!!! I'm sure someone has some secret spot that they are hauling um in at and more power to you...Great way to spend a nice day, wader in shorts and my boots and it was great, worked on two spey lines and my Mykiss center pin...Hopy used pin and even spent the early afternoon nymphing like a mother and not even a little trout to show for it....

Oh well, that's why they call it fishing....Good night now!!

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: 4th of July on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 07:40:58 PM »

It was toasty out today.  Slathered on the sunscreen and still got crisp!  Hoss Cartwright, the Dancing Queen was right about water conditions though.  Looks like it's come down a bit since Sunday though.  Nice thing about starting early and leaving earlier (although, Hoss Cartwright, the Dancing Queen still took 45 minutes from the time I said, "I'm leaving" to actually follow) that it didn't take me 2 hours to get home like last Thursday.   Saw a deer too.  BTW ABA, you got mail.
Oh and as stated earlier, no fish. 

Oh, and smoked some good cigars!
President Club S. C. & P.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 08:06:59 PM »

it came up a little bit from yesterday actually and coloured a little too as the lower was clearer yesterday...
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:34:52 PM »

Thanks for the reports and udates guys! Looks like im gonna give it another week or so
weeeeeeeeeow!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »

And happy independence day Golfman!
Fish on!

c-pin

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 09:52:38 PM »

My wife and I took a drive to the Vedder today, as well. XG - you are right .... not a sniff all day.

Although at Freds they had heard that a fish had been caught about 2 days ago in the upper part. Apparently there is a lot of, "I heard that this guy caught a Spring. I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from two guys talking at the gas station about it".

I personally found the water barely fishable. Cleaner up top than down below, ..... and there is a lot of water moving.

BTW .... got checked by two C.O.'s while fishing the upper part. Good to see them out. They said that they will be up and down the river all season.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 10:20:41 AM »

And happy independence day Golfman!

;D big bang all night...up till midnight lighting off the works..town did a nice job on it's firework display as well...now my daughters are bummed as they have to do the clean up this morning...allot more fun lighting it off it seems... :'(

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 02:24:46 PM »

I dunno where you were fishing ?? My friends,  brothers , sisters' husbands' best friends brother in law was getting fish with every second cast yesterday !!! you must be a bad fisherman ;D ;D ;D
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »

I dunno where you were fishing ?? My friends,  brothers , sisters' husbands' best friends brother in law was getting fish with every second cast yesterday !!! you must be a bad fisherman ;D ;D ;D
TH

Probably...I only fished the river where the water runs through...I figured your brothers friend knows a guy who lives up there and is catching um in schools...even heard a 40lb'r too....I've decided i'm going to take up bottom bouncing with a net...After i've snagged a few fish i'll start a thread decrying the method and act reaalllly innocent...
P.S. Merc called me a bad word which means "white devil" and I kind of liked it but he won't print it as he said he's scared too...

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 07:04:36 PM »

I dont get to go till late july.  >:( But atleast the fish will have a chance to move in by then.
Fish killer 101

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »

good report x-golf.. sorry to hear about the poor results.  anyone know how many nets the first nation are running?  i hope i am wrong about this, but i've read in past posts that they will test their "rights" from time to time and block the whole river and even fish in places they're not supposed to net.  i know that down on the columbia, our results are directly linked to the number of nets in the river.