Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1st steelie of the year snaps new 11'3" pin rod  (Read 3643 times)

yamadrifter

1st steelie of the year snaps new 11'3" pin rod
« on: January 06, 2007, 04:09:25 PM »

Decided to hit the flow early this morning with Scruffy. The water was high and dirty when we got there so we decided to head over to another local flow. We hiked in and started to hit some runs. We both hooked into several hoes that were in various states but obviously none were worth keeping. We never saw any steelies as we made our way down the flow. A few hours and a long hike later we decided to fish a nice looking run where a few hoes were hiding. We  both hooked into a couple more hoes and a few casts later my float takes a good dive. Thought it was big boot at first until I saw it roll. It was a nice big steelie, first one of the year for me! :) As I'm fighting it I yell down to Scruffy "steelhead on buddy" . I guess he thought  I was joking because it took him a while to waddle himself back to where I was ;D ;D ;D By the time he put his gear down to help me out I had it near the shore, it was a nice big wild buck! As he came over to tail it for me it took a wild flop back into the water and snap! it broke my rod into a couple of pieces  :o :-[. I quickly grabbed the pieces and had to cut the line as the fish was already heading into the fast water.>:( If anyone hooks that fish again there's a DNE 30 gram balsa and nice roe sack hooked in it's mouth as a bonus ;) Thank god for the lifetime warranty!  ;D  I'll be back in action for the derby next weekend.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: 1st steelie of the year snaps new 11'3" pin rod
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 04:21:26 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. What kind of rod was it ?

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »

where abouts was this ??? that suck about your rod.
love to fish.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 04:33:29 PM »

Thanks for the report First Light,at least you did enjoy the fight between you and the ironhead before the rod broke. I guess you will have a replacement rod at no time ;)

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

THIS IS Y I ONLY FISH WITH MY SAGE RODS !  ;D

yamadrifter

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 04:51:23 PM »

The rod was a trophy xl.  I am new to the pin but I found it to be a great rod, good action, caught lots of dogs with it for practice a couple of months ago.  Thanks for the tip Freak, I guess I'm too use to using a baitcaster. :)

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 08:39:29 PM »

ALL I USE IS SAGE RODS, AND TROPHY XL AS MY BACK UP RODS ! EXCEPT 4 STURGEON..........11 FOOT UGLY STIK !  ;D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 09:10:29 PM »

The rod was a trophy xl.  I am new to the pin but I found it to be a great rod, good action, caught lots of dogs with it for practice a couple of months ago.  Thanks for the tip Freak, I guess I'm too use to using a baitcaster. :)

I use a Trophy rod as well, Sage/Trophy they all catch the same fish, and in my years of fishing i have seen plenty of sage drift rods and fly rods explode , Its all in how you treat them, just cause sage rods are $500 and up dont mean there bullet proof. I used my baitcaster today and it felt weird using it , considering i use my Avon all the time

Hey fishfreak,you are right about what ever rod you are using, have to know how to handle the rod and the fish,so why you are using your baitcasting reel?? ;)or you want to get rid of your avon :D :D :D

Nuggy

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 09:28:03 PM »

Thanks for the report First Light. Congrats on your fish and condolences on your rod ;)

Cheers

Nuggy

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »

too bad about the rod! Freak your selling your avon ??? :o
weeeeeeeeeow!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 10:02:38 PM »

i can only waddle so fast :D  :o wasn't expecting it to be a steelie i seriously thought you were BSing ,sorry man about the rod but better to have it break on a fish then breaking it someother way,i feel bad about it happing,but look on the bright side you caught your first steelie of the season and put the gear to the test,i must say i thought you took it quite well for that happing and of course i almost touched my first steelie of the year :D.as you said thank god for warranty
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 05:02:23 PM by scruffy »

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 09:27:56 PM »

sweet report.  man some pretty late coho