Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garry Point Park, February 4th 2009  (Read 2624 times)

yamadirt 426

Garry Point Park, February 4th 2009
« on: February 04, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »

Went there for 4pm tonight. Tide was way out. So far out I was walking beyond where i could cast too on a high tide. Its good to know what I've been throwing into all this time. The drop from the top of the beach to about 60' out is about 6-7' and what i fished today felt like only 4' deep. Anyway I was there for 1hr and had 2 hookups .Saw one fish that looked about 14-16in the other was tug-tug gone. Flipped a few rocks over out there and little shrimp just scatter everywhere. Much like our freshwater lake shrimp just a bit bigger and a dull green brown. So i think im gonna try flyfishing one of those on a low tide. Today I hooked them on a #1gold bluefox. I just love beach fishing. Also has anyone ever took a small aluminum ladder out fishing just to get out a little further and still get up high for a nice long cast. I've done it a pyramid lake in Navada. Thats just the thing to do there. This place is perfect for it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Garry Point Park, February 4th 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »

Very nice. ;) I was there earlier today briefly, from noon until 1pm just to make a few casts. No luck for me today, but there are definitely fish around. :)

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »

Know a guy on the Island that beach fishes for Coho with a ladder for extra distance....
always a student

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »

I know about fish ladders but never a fisherman's ladder. :D ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »

What do you think it was that you were hooking into? 

Good luck next time out. 

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »

See http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/fly-fishing-ladders-pyramid-lake-nv-t22637.html?p=211751   Pyramid Lake  Navada where they regularly fish from ladders about 80 yards out in COLD 3-4 ft. deep water for giant Lahontan Cutthroat..

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 03:32:16 PM »

See http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/fly-fishing-ladders-pyramid-lake-nv-t22637.html?p=211751   Pyramid Lake  Navada where they regularly fish from ladders about 80 yards out in COLD 3-4 ft. deep water for giant Lahontan Cutthroat..
I don't see any pic anywhere in the post.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:24:07 PM »

Ya i've been there twice over the last three years. Its an unreal lake with the water so salty the fish are marinating as they are swimming. They taste so good. It use to be commercially fished back in the day. And the one I saw was definatley a bully. He was very close when he let go of the hook. Very shiney

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 11:18:02 AM »

Eagle lake in my home area Northern Cali has high alkaline levels with only one type of fish in the water the eagle lake trout they are on average 3-5 lbs.When i was younger i caught a 8 and 5 pounder same day (the limit is two) i cant even describe the taste and texture of these fish better than sockeye in my opinion.if anybody on here is lucky enough to go or has been before you understand what i mean. 8 :)
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

yamadirt 426

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 04:07:54 PM »

Eagle lake in my home area Northern Cali has high alkaline levels with only one type of fish in the water the eagle lake trout they are on average 3-5 lbs.When i was younger i caught a 8 and 5 pounder same day (the limit is two) i cant even describe the taste and texture of these fish better than sockeye in my opinion.if anybody on here is lucky enough to go or has been before you understand what i mean. 8 :)

Its got to be the same. Pretty much salt water. Leaves a layer of salt on everything. Best fish I ever ate. 3-5 lbs avg.  Some in the high teens at the derby the day we got there. Just check those 2 lakes are only 70 miles apart
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:12:28 PM by yamadirt 426 »

coho_killer

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »

Warning if you take your dog to this park please read!

Out and about on our stroll today in Garry Point (Steveston) a very nice gentleman let us know that dogs have been poisoned in the area. He said a lady was walking her two min pins when one of them starting chewing something. She got it from the dog and discovered it was a cotton ball. The dog became very ill with what the vet suspects to be antifreeze and has severe liver damage.

Some sicko is soaking cotton balls in antifreeze and planting them in the area in an attempt to harm the dogs. I guess it doesn't take much to have a large impact.

Be very vigilant and keep your pups on leash if at all possible!
Wild fish don't do drugs!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »

now thats just disgusting to hear  :'( the person(s) doing this arent only trying to harm dogs but trying to kill them. I dont think it takes much anitfreeze to kill dogs and because it tastes sweet they cant resist  :'( i cant believe some people, it just disgusts me to be in the same species as these types of people.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »

Isn't Garry Point Park dogs on-leash only area?

coho_killer

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:07:37 PM »

Isn't Garry Point Park dogs on-leash only area?

I wouldnt know i'm not a dog owner i just found this warning ona nouther site, and thought i'd post it here because i know rod and a few other in this site frequent this park from time to time! alI know i'd be happy and gratefull to know about this warning befor i ever took any dog to this park!

CK
Wild fish don't do drugs!