Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinks with their soft mouths  (Read 4433 times)

Fishawn

Pinks with their soft mouths
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »

Hi all,
I think it's pretty well acknowledged that pinks have softer mouths than other salmon species. That said, just wanted to get a consensus as to whether you guys and gals play them differently because of this.
Myself, I subscribe to the school of play em' fast and hard.  I don't keep em' unless they are chrome bullets, so if I'm going to release, then I don't want to cause undue stress on the fish.
However, especially this year, I've lost more fish than usual, just wondering whether or not I need to change up my game plan.
Thanks!

Ian Forbes

Re: Pinks with their soft mouths
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »

I play all my fish fast and hard. Sometimes the hooks pull for no apparent reason other than poor positioning of the hook set. It's not like you are trying to drag the fish up a cliff. You can't really put that much pressure on a fish unless you are using sturgeon tackle.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »

Is not sure how you are fishing for them, but as a fly fisherman I do use slightly different tactics for pinks due to their softer mouths.  I now tie all my flies upside down (clouser style) so the hook rides up (tie barbell eyes or bead chain on the top of the hook so the fly flips over in the water), increasing the likelihood of a hook set in the tougher upper jaw.  This allows me to play them more aggressively as, like you, I will release most fish I catch (already smoked three chrome fish from beaches earlier thus year).
Not all those who wander are lost

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

I now tie all my flies upside down (clouser style) so the hook rides up (tie barbell eyes or bead chain on the top of the hook so the fly flips over in the water), increasing the likelihood of a hook set in the tougher upper jaw.

I do the same thing and it helps with more secure hook ups.

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »

i dont set them like i do other fish, just raise my rod tip till i feel resistance then then reel and give a slight tug not hard using a size 4 it dont take much to set using a soft rod too so not putting a whole ton of pressure on them, almost every fish hooked comes to hand.

Fishawn

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »

i dont set them like i do other fish, just raise my rod tip till i feel resistance then then reel and give a slight tug not hard using a size 4 it dont take much to set using a soft rod too so not putting a whole ton of pressure on them, almost every fish hooked comes to hand.
Cool! Will give it a try next time out.  Do you pump em' in the same as you would any other fish? I know I'd lose less fish, but I really don't like the idea of letting the fish do its thing while everyone else around me waits.  Pink fishing can get mighty crowded-not like steelheading where most times you have the run to yourself. Or maybe a moderate action rod is better for this fishery....I tend to favor fast action spinning rods. 
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »

why would a softer mouth cause hooks to pop? common sense would say the hook would bury itself deeper. I know this is the school if thought for pinks, but if anyone could explain why, I'd appreciate it.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »

why would a softer mouth cause hooks to pop? common sense would say the hook would bury itself deeper. I know this is the school if thought for pinks, but if anyone could explain why, I'd appreciate it.

I think that the hook just ends up "ripping" right out of the mouth.  If I "play" a pink too long, I find I end up losing the fish.  I believe the hook just eventually works its way out, as the wound/flesh just opens up and tears.  I've landed many pinks after a hard battle, and observed that the hook is sometimes just hanging by a "thread" of flesh in the mouth.

I also found that the shape of the hook can make a difference.  I prefer to tie my pink flies on hooks with well rounded, and larger, gapes.

Anyway...just my observations...

MoeJKU

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »

All my jigs are tie upside down doesn't matter if its for pinks coho chum springs.  And i usually set my hooks hard with pinks,  maybe not as hard as springs  but still givem a good wack. I used to find i would rip a few hooks out  of all fish when i was testing braid out. Maybe try mono its got some stretch, if your not using it already.

Fishawn

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »

All my jigs are tie upside down doesn't matter if its for pinks coho chum springs.  And i usually set my hooks hard with pinks,  maybe not as hard as springs  but still givem a good wack. I used to find i would rip a few hooks out  of all fish when i was testing braid out. Maybe try mono its got some stretch, if your not using it already.
Yeah, I tend to whack em' pretty hard too. I think maybe you hit the nail on the head Moe. I do use braid. Hmm, maybe I'll just give er a good lift instead.

MoeJKU

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »

Yeah, I tend to whack em' pretty hard too. I think maybe you hit the nail on the head Moe. I do use braid. Hmm, maybe I'll just give er a good lift instead.
Yeah i found the stretch in mono to be good. I didn't really like braid anyways. 20lb mono for me is all i need maximum for everything drift or float fishing and cast and retrieve.

Fishawn

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »

Yeah, I guess for me, I like braid for shore fishing for its  casting distance, and snags are a cinch to get free.  Will have to give mono a try again next time I spool up.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »

I use braid for pink fishing - I can get a lot more line on a smaller reel & it casts a mile.

You just need to lighten up the drag a bunch and let the fish run a few times to tire it out.

MoeJKU

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »

I use braid for pink fishing - I can get a lot more line on a smaller reel & it casts a mile.

You just need to lighten up the drag a bunch and let the fish run a few times to tire it out.
Yeah different strokes for different folks. my friend only uses braid he fishes the same waters as me.  I have a 400te so i don't have to worry about line capacity either.

sumasriver

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »

10 lb mono for me today on the Fraser.  Lost close to half of my fish today. Hook popping out half way in to shore.
I was definately letting them play a bit , trying to tire them out.  Once the see shallow water they definately spook and tear line.

Lots of fish in the river this afternoon. Close to shore.  We  landed 12 between the 3 of us in  just over 2 hrs.