Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultraviolet U/V in flies  (Read 4229 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Ultraviolet U/V in flies
« on: November 14, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »

Does U/V material make flies much better?   What kind of flies:   Clouser minnows for the ocean or cronnies or as an accent  touch on any wet fly or salmon or steelhead flies????

Just wondering what the experience has been.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Ultraviolet U/V in flies
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »

Came across a good discussion of UV use in flies at :

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php/71930-UV-Flies

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »

I have been experimenting with it. It certainly make my flies more visible to me. I have seen my UV patterns spook fish in clear shallow water. As for deeper water they seem to be more productive, but more experimentation is needed. It is a tuff code to crack since colors change with depth and water color. On the other hand orange UV had the sockeye slamming my flies on the Thompson. That is right orange; go figure.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »

UV reflective and fluorescing fly tying materials create a glowing effect that stimulates the trout’s natural curiosity and has the potential to trigger their aggressive nature. Adding materials that possess these qualities, to create “hot spots” on fly patterns, in areas such as the thorax, head, wings or wing-case, can increase the visibility and appeal of many traditional fly patterns.

Keep in mind that they are more effective at times when UVA light wavelengths are the dominant source of lighting, and that using too much can have an adverse effect...
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »

These have been on the go for a number of years on British waters and like all things new they were the 'in thing' for a while - but after quite a trial period I for one thought they actually caught fewer fish.  More important was the presentation (i.e. right fly type, right depth & right retrieve/movement). 

Would be interesting to hear if anyone found they caught more as a result?

Personally think scent has more importance.  ::)
Try the fly!

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »

Would be interesting to hear if anyone found they caught more as a result?

I can say with 100% certainty that I have caught more fish as a result. The key is to know when and where it is beneficial to use it, as well as its limitations. Like many other things in life, it isn't the be-all and end-all, but it does have its moments when it can truly make a difference...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:54:15 PM by Tyson »
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »

Fair play to you Tyson.  Glad to hear you got it to work.
Try the fly!

wizard

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »

I can attest that cutties like the uv.  my biggest cutty (21) inches was caught on a purplish uv bead head leech on a type 6 sinking line with all the line out, this year.  have also caught many rainbows on the same pattern.   I'll be experimenting more this winter.