Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tying flys for trout  (Read 3339 times)

freakonaleash

Tying flys for trout
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:41:13 PM »

Hey everyone. I was wondering what my best bet for flys for rainbow trout in the alouette river would be. Im going to buy some supplies tonight so i can tie my own and ... yea. Lots of it confuses me (theres so many flys). So yea, flys for rainbow trout, something that is popular... Ive heard of wooly buggers ?

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: Tying flys for trout
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:44:06 PM »

doc spratleys

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 09:34:23 PM »

I have found the Zulu to be a good producer on our local streams. Easy to tie too.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »

I'd nymph with an indicator...small stone's etc. I take a small net and kick around in 2-3' of water and see what I can find in the net, then try and match it with a fly...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 07:11:09 PM »

for a nymph a hare's ear, for a wet something like a partridge and green or orange soft hackle. For dries an Adams or grey wulff. Wooly Buggers catch anything.

There are not a lot of rainbows in the Alouette but there are some. Cutthroat are common but often hard to find and catch. Small run of coho late in the fall and loads of chum slamon. Look for a few pinks in Sept October. Be sure you release everything except maybe a hatchery fish or 2 . far too many people and too few fish for that river to give away fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

freakonaleash

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 07:08:27 PM »

yea last time i was there one of my friends dads got the second actual keeper we've ever gotten out of that river. The first time we got a keeper we put it back. This one was too beautiful to put back. Nice big rainbow trout :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »

All wild trout in the Alouette have to be released. Only hatchery raised trout with a removed adipose fin and a healed scar in place of the fin can be retained. All retained hacthery trout have to be 30cm (12inches) or more in length.

So Keeper = no adipose fin +  healed scar in place of the adipose fin + 12 inches or more in length.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »

Not bashing but why keep one fish from a river that doesn't have many in the first place?? Just one less fish to in the river!!

freakonaleash

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:18:55 PM »

Not bashing but why keep one fish from a river that doesn't have many in the first place?? Just one less fish to in the river!!

Wasn't my choice, it was his. Theres tons of fish where i go, just not that many huge ones.