Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead quotas  (Read 4485 times)

Chromie

steelhead quotas
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »

In recent months when looking at the BC fishing regulation I noticed that Alouette River you can keep two hatchery steelhead per day.

Now the question is what is the purpose of this?

Does the river get that many steelhead?

What is the methodology behind this does anyone know?

Cheers Chromie

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: steelhead quotas
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:49:23 AM »

Hatchery fish are put and take. Bonk 'em all.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:51:49 AM »

--hatchery marked steelhead are meant to be caught and kept...the quota is just for people management.
--if the stocking in a system was intended as a re-introduction there would be no retention.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »

Not too mention you only are allowed 10 hatchery steelhead per license year anyway for the whole province.

Also that 2 per day reg is a regional regulation, so unless otherwise stated in waterbody exceptions you can take 2 hatchery steelhead per day.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »

No easy to reach the daily limit. Most likely is been skunked in Alouette river

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »

Land owners in the area are complete A holes and most of the land close to the stream is residential and private. Also email or facebook message alouette river management society (ARMS) and find out if they have even clipped any in the recent years.

Search these forums and a few others and you will find a bit of info. If you go every day for year you will be lucky if you get 2. Still some nice great quite places to fish where you can get trout and be left alone.

John Revolver

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »

Steelhead in the Alouette you say....?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »

there are other mysterious regulations in the synopsis, the opening on trout 12 inches and smaller in the Coquitlam River from July 1st to Oct 15th is another than has been discussed here. If you think the regional limit of 2 hatchery steelhead per day is excessive, I suggest you let F&W know. I think streams where the limit is one have that to help reduce angling pressure and preserve hatchery fish #s so other anglers get a shot at one.

FWIW all hatchery steelhead in the region are supposed to be marked before released though some may be missed by accident or error.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »

I think streams where the limit is one have that to help reduce angling pressure and preserve hatchery fish #s so other anglers get a shot at one.

Good one. I'm sure the Vedder would see much more pressure if the limit were two. ;D

Silex-user

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:57:48 PM »

Sightly off the topic on Lowermainland steelhead quotas. I lived between Washington state and Lowermainland. There is a steelhead quoted of 3 per day on most of Columbia Basis rivers. Also there is a Mandatory Hatchery Steelhead retention and you can still continue fishing even you fill your limit. The rivers I fished (steelhead) down there is no where as heavy fishing pressure as the Vedder river.

Silex user

poper

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »

Land owners in the area are complete A holes and most of the land close to the stream is residential and private. Also email or facebook message alouette river management society (ARMS) and find out if they have even clipped any in the recent years.

Search these forums and a few others and you will find a bit of info. If you go every day for year you will be lucky if you get 2. Still some nice great quite places to fish where you can get trout and be left alone.

Ya this is totally true,stick to other flows. 😂