Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stealth or dne  (Read 15560 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: stealth or dne
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »

i have both.  i find the dne easier to use, more durable and has a more stable drift.  also i find the seams of the stealths to be too sharp at times. punishing my 12 lb main line when i adjust the depth.

last thing is the price of the dne is half of the stealth.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 11:43:48 PM »

The Stealth looks good and works well. Have not tried DNE. I thought it is a foam float. How do you compare a clear plastic to a foam float?  We pay $ for a float to be transparent to the fish, otherwise why paid $7 for a Drennan?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 11:33:21 AM »

i've now tried both the dne and the stealth. I will stick with a standard foam float for salmon fishing but when this years steelhead season gets under way, Stealth with be my float of choice, hands down. Nice product..... and yes, we sell them here at Steveston Marine. Have not had a representative from Dne contact me so we do not as of yet carry thier product.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 11:41:18 AM »

The Stealth looks good and works well. Have not tried DNE. I thought it is a foam float. How do you compare a clear plastic to a foam float?  We pay $ for a float to be transparent to the fish, otherwise why paid $7 for a Drennan?

ok. if you want to compare apples to apples, why would anyone pay $7 for a clear float, when you can $3.99 ?  well, i quess one reason may be the lack of selection of the latter.

i think its more personal preference over anything else.  i've heard people swear they've caught more steelies using balsa floats over clear plastic floats and vise versa. i've also heard some people say they use nothing but dink floats and have had great success.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 02:21:47 PM »

ya know....when it comes to steelhead, it has nothing to do with the float, it's all in how yer holdin yer jaw and .... what yer smokin for breakfast hehehehe  ;D

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 02:36:11 PM »

Ive tried both and i find the DNE to work well for me especially the balsa's they ride nice in the water  :)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »

You guys drift fishing in the clear low Vedder is just as bad as bottom bouncing the Fraser. Quit that justafiable snagging business and turn to fly fishing. This river will soon be flyfishing only because of these snagging efforts using clear type floats.

Get with it guys - give your fly-line a shake.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 03:36:59 PM »

rieber..... not trying to rattle your cage, but that statement is just plain ridiculous. Yes, there are those who snag fish but presenting a blade or a real bait under a float in clear water conditions is in my opinion FAR better than swinging a fly, that technique is just another form of flossing. I know because i've flyfished many rivers for salmon steelhead and trout. Maybe if you are making short casts with your flyline and stripping you MAY avoid flossing, but I'll tell you this, I've accidentally snagged/flossed more salmon with river fly gear than i ever have with float gear. Statements like yours will only draw the ire of ethical anglers who do everything in thier power to not snag/floss fish, and makes you look like a dumbass. And no I'm not saying you are a dumbass, but You've been around this site long enough to know better, my comments are not a stab at you.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 04:28:07 PM »

Have you ever seen flyfishers flossing or foul hooking those poor pinks by the tons when the flyfishers strip their long leader through the run to target the few coho?  :D :D :D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 04:59:41 PM »

zoom, zoom, zoom - you guys are too easy to hook and wind up. :D

I've tried the clear floats and I think they work great under cloudy conditions. In sunny conditions I see the floats throwing a bright reflection. Surely this must spook fish.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 04:50:43 PM »

home made balsa floats work well, they look like a stick in the river, quite a common site, so wheather its murky or clear the fish dont care!
Fish killer 101

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 08:50:11 PM »

I can't believe you guys couldn't read the sarcasm in Reiber's post lol ::)
Reiber you fly snagger !!!! ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 02:36:54 PM »

Yesterday i picked up 2 free stealth floats at the river :D,both stealth floats had no rubber tube on it,so i guess somebody lost it while playing with those big springs or chums .

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »

Those rubber sleaves fit pretty snug. Hard to believe they came off.

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 05:27:18 PM »

We recommend that you cut the tubing in to 1 inch sections this holds the float firmly on the line. If you use shorter sections you will be much more likely to loose the float if you have a break off  and them you will have to purchase a new Stealth float...er...um...wait a minute disregard previous instructions and continue using short collar sections...thank you for your support! ;D ;D ;D

Fish with Stealth!
SFT