Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing the Seymour North Van. ?  (Read 7577 times)

FLYRob

fishing the Seymour North Van. ?
« on: August 09, 2006, 08:55:09 PM »

hey everyone,

did some one know about the seymour river right know. I herd they have some Steelhaed up there, is that right?

I was thinking to get up there on the Weekend, there shut be some good pol´s up stream from Rice lake?

I fish´d at the Campbell last two weeks, catch lots of Pinks really graet time. But now I am hook´d on fishing for Salmon, Steelhaed, and I am looking for a spot near the City?
And the Cap. is a bit to crouded for me!

So maybee the Seymour can be a alternativ!

Thank´s

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: fishing the Seymour North Van. ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 09:18:32 PM »

The seymour is supper low right now and while they do have some summer runs in it, the numbers are minimal.  I have heard the run is anywhere from 50-200 summer runs dependig on the year.  I have taken one steelie from the seymour in 17 years of living/fishing on the north shore and that will probably be it for me, for now.

The cap has a large number of coho in it right now and the pressure is relatively light.  The water is dead low and the fish are pretty skitterish hence any significant amount of pressure turns them off. 

Its kind of a tough time on the North shore right now with both rivers runnig very low and clear. 

I havent freshened up on the regs this year but as I recall there is a bait ban at certain times of the year or possibly fly only (upper river) so do your research and check the regs before you head out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:48:02 PM »

Rob,

Regulations of the Seymour River:

• No fishing above signs at Spur 7.
  • Between Spur 4 and signs at Spur 7, trout and char release (including steelhead), bait ban and flyfishing only.
  • No fishing between signs 200 m above and 130 m below pipeline bridge (near Greater Vancouver Water District gate).
  • The rest of the river, wild steelhead must be released, you're allowed to keep two hatchery steelhead.

For more information on the general regulations in Region 2 (where the Seymour River is located), please click on this link.

Although you're allowed to keep steelhead in parts of the river, it is not recommended as this river's steelhead stock has been struggling for many years.

For the rest of this summer, until the next major rainfall, you may wish to try beach fishing at various locations in North and West Vancouver as fish will stage and wait for the rivers to rise.

Good luck.

FLYRob

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »

Thank´s for the Infos. !!

Wenn you say beach fishing.
Where is good spot? the mouth of Cap.-Seymou River.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »

Rob,

Regulations of the Seymour River:

• No fishing above signs at Spur 7.
  • Between Spur 4 and signs at Spur 7, trout and char release (including steelhead), bait ban and flyfishing only.
  • No fishing between signs 200 m above and 130 m below pipeline bridge (near Greater Vancouver Water District gate).
  • The rest of the river, wild steelhead must be released, you're allowed to keep two hatchery steelhead.

For more information on the general regulations in Region 2 (where the Seymour River is located), please click on this link.

Although you're allowed to keep steelhead in parts of the river, it is not recommended as this river's steelhead stock has been struggling for many years.

For the rest of this summer, until the next major rainfall, you may wish to try beach fishing at various locations in North and West Vancouver as fish will stage and wait for the rivers to rise.

Good luck.

I apologize for the ignorance however.....this is the problem i have with regs.... how do we know the reference points on the Regs... for example what is spur 4 or spur 7 and how do we know what else it talks about.... maybe i am missing something
see ya on the river

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 09:54:07 PM »

Valid point Jettabambino. It's very hard to expect someone fishing a new system to know all the names of the runs and pools of a river. Some boundaries are fairly obvious while others are not.

winter steel

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 11:40:23 PM »

Yes, the regulations or lack of understanding a particuar fishing area can get one in trouble. I remeber a first time trip to the stamp and trying to figure out where the girl guide camp was located on the river to determine where the bait ban kicked in only to have a local tell us later in the day. Anyway, in regards to the Seymour the two major path entrences at Riverside and Rice Lake both have maps that outline the river and the various spur bridges. Tight lines.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 11:49:33 PM »

Jetta, I was thinking about the exact same thing when I typed those out. I was also having trouble interpreting it briefly and trying to figure out whether steelhead retention is closed for the entire system or just between Spur 4 and 7.

A good solution to this would be to have maps of the river with these points clearly labelled available at the local tacklestore (ie. Highwater Tackle) or the entrances of the park (Seymour Conservation Reserve). This is done at the streams in Denmark where we have fished. Maps of the streams are available and you can see exactly where you are allowed or not allowed to fish.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »

Indeed "Spur 4" "spur 7" are bridges that I would imagine are impossible to miss.  I have never seen them, I think they are in the upper third to quarter of the river.  Pretty much if you walk the trials down from the demo forest parking lot (rice lake) those restrictions are all far up river from that point.  I believe the area affected by those restrictions is closer to the hatchery...like I said, in the upper quarter of the river.