Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Studies on Catch and release mortality  (Read 4592 times)

stsfisher

Studies on Catch and release mortality
« on: October 30, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »

So, not to derail another thread anymore than it already has been I figured I would start a new conversation here regarding the study of Catch and release. 

I have always respected everything written by Barry M. Thornton. I know this story is largely centered around the catch and release of Steelhead, however it does have some interesting information regarding catch and release moralities on pacific salmon that in fact where conducted by DFO and it Biologists.
I am sure we can find many other studies that can be shared, scrutinized or taken into consideration here, please share.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/thornton/catchrelease.phtml

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Studies on Catch and release mortality
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »

thanks for sharing.

I have a question regarding chinook salmon fishing. Unlike coho, the chinook does not have clipped fin to indicate wild or hatchery. The regulation allows to keep chinook regardless when the fishery is open. I was wondering why there isn't a wild fish release regulation? In the article, seems chinook survives good after releasing. Since the chinook number and size is shrinking year after year. Don't we worry?

stsfisher

ByteMe

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »

Use circle hooks. I have used them for the past 5yrs for all species from steelhead to sea run cuts and never had a fish hook anywhere but the corner of the mouth or the bottom jaw. I fly fish mostly , but pin when the water is high, never had a bleeder, never hooked on the tongue or vital areas, with the design of circles, I am able to go down in hook sizes when compared to a J-hook, best of all, hook to landing ratio is way up compared to J-hooks, all fish released with minimal damage which equates to lower mortality rates.......this would be a start for anyone concerned about fish survival
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 09:57:40 AM »

Some studies comparing circle hooks to j-hooks used with bait indicate 24 hour mortality doesn't get much below 10%. That can be a substantial improvement vs j- hooks but still higher than other studies based on j hooks and artificial lures or flies. Hook size isn't much discussed though intuitively - at least for me - the smaller the wire gauge, gape & point the better in terms of reduced post release mortality.

I think overall the message on c&r and post release mortality is that most scientific information released in the last 20 years indicates the issue is far more complicated than when the practice became popular in the late 70s into the 90s. I fear a lot of anglers are just not 'up' on this fact. Particularly more casual anglers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ByteMe

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »

Some studies comparing circle hooks to j-hooks used with bait indicate 24 hour mortality doesn't get much below 10%. That can be a substantial improvement vs j- hooks but still higher than other studies based on j hooks and artificial lures or flies. Hook size isn't much discussed though intuitively - at least for me - the smaller the wire gauge, gape & point the better in terms of reduced post release mortality.

I think overall the message on c&r and post release mortality is that most scientific information released in the last 20 years indicates the issue is far more complicated than when the practice became popular in the late 70s into the 90s. I fear a lot of anglers are just not 'up' on this fact. Particularly more casual anglers.

Absolutely.....the smaller wire gauge, gape and point plays a major role in mortality, each brand of circle hooks are manufactured differently, choose wisely regardless of style
                                         Lefty Kreh

poper

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »

I can’t see how anyone could like useing circle hooks, I have tryed all types, dirft fishing and sturgeon fishing, I find the best part of sturgeon fishing is the hook set, and circle hooks take that away, but if it comes down to use bait ,for stealhead or salmon fishing,you have to use circle hooks, maybe a good idea, instead of banning bait.

ByteMe

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »

I can’t see how anyone could like useing circle hooks, I have tryed all types, dirft fishing and sturgeon fishing, I find the best part of sturgeon fishing is the hook set, and circle hooks take that away, but if it comes down to use bait ,for stealhead or salmon fishing,you have to use circle hooks, maybe a good idea, instead of banning bait.

The thread is not about liking or not liking the use of circle hooks, it's about keeping the mortality and injury rate down for C&R fishing and this is one of the simplest way to do it if preservation and conservation is on your agenda, guess after 50yrs of fishing I'm tired of releasing fish after they've been hooked through the eye, tongue, down the throat knowing their chance of survival is slim
                                         Lefty Kreh

poper

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »

I did say it may be a good idea.    ;)

ByteMe

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 02:32:27 PM »

I did say it may be a good idea.    ;)

My bad......senior eyes ;)
                                         Lefty Kreh

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 05:01:35 PM »

If you are truly worried about the suffering of the salmon, be truthful to yourselves and stop fishing for them altogether. Your arguments to continue justifying a practice of torturing an animal for sheer pleasure are laughable.
Fishing, like hunting, is a blood sport. Get over it and enjoy a fish or two for dinner from time to time. Otherwise, why bother? There are so many other hobbies to take up that do not involve torturing animals.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »

And if you stop fishing, your inflicted mortality rate drops down to ZERO! :)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »

... ::)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:06:36 PM by milo »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »

Sorry, double post

ByteMe

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 05:57:52 PM »

If you are truly worried about the suffering of the salmon, be truthful to yourselves and stop fishing for them altogether. Your arguments to continue justifying a practice of torturing an animal for sheer pleasure are laughable.
Fishing, like hunting, is a blood sport. Get over it and enjoy a fish or two for dinner from time to time. Otherwise, why bother? There are so many other hobbies to take up that do not involve torturing animals.

Nah...the opinion on the circles was I feel they do less harm especially to the wild fish especially steelhead, at least from my experiences, can't tell ya what happens half hour down the road after release, was not directed on hatchery clipped fish as I still enjoy my coho ;)
                                         Lefty Kreh